Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Kevin

3 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Your're pretty fit.  When I'm not birding, my walking pace is around 2.5 MPH, much slower when I'm keeping count.

I was on a dirt bike today, but my walking pace is about 4 MPH. I'm over 6'3" with very long legs to match, my normal stride is just over 4 feet, and if I am running it is well over 6. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IKLland said:

This time of year is awful for birding here, so until shorebird migration starts again, I’m focusing more on photography. 
https://ebird.org/checklist/S113127851

I have a long way to go on the exciting path. 🙂  Twenty-two of your forty species would have been lifers for me.  Awful is also a relative term.  I think my daily record is 28 species.

Had a crazy good day today! Went up to a high elevation lake in the Sierra Nevadas, than hiked up even further to another lake which was in the desolation wilderness. Highlights included at least four Gray-crowned Rosy-finches, a Black-backed Woodpecker, three Pine Grosbeak, five Sooty Grouse, a Williamson's Sapsucker, and a Golden Eagle. 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113227837

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Laughing gull is a lifer?!?!

I remember you getting a lifer, California Gull. Every one starting out gets common birds as lifers, and as you go on birding slowly starts getting rare/harder to find/out of normal range birds. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I remember you getting a lifer, California Gull. Every one starting out gets common birds as lifers, and as you go on birding slowly starts getting rare/harder to find/out of normal range birds. 

Thanks for the reminder. I know, it just seemed that they were so abundant down there. 

A good day as usual.  A small section of the boardwalk was closed because of aggressive honey bees.  I don't understand their aggressiveness, but I almost got stung on that portion once, and that same day, at least one person did get stung.  I'm guessing the path is very close to a nest.

I'm still learning my point and shoot, but am realizing that with stationary birds, like the Double-crested Cormorant that I got some great photos of, auto mode gets better pictures than the sports mode burst that I normally leave on:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113299590

• Like 3

On 6/18/2022 at 6:42 PM, IKLland said:

Laughing gull is a lifer?!?!

On 6/18/2022 at 7:15 PM, Kevin said:

The Common Loon was an eBird lifer for me this year. I absolutely have heard them before, and I even remember where, but I have no record of when. Some may be amused that the Black-capped Chickadee was a lifer for me last year when I have lists spanning back into the '90s, and I haven't seen it yet this year. As I'm closing in on 400 life birds, I'm still missing the Baltimore Oriole and Purple Finch.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

The Common Loon was an eBird lifer for me this year. I absolutely have heard them before, and I even remember where, but I have no record of when. Some may be amused that the Black-capped Chickadee was a lifer for me last year when I have lists spanning back into the '90s, and I haven't seen it yet this year. As I'm closing in on 400 life birds, I'm still missing the Baltimore Oriole and Purple Finch.

I’m still missing common loon.

• Like 1

Nice weather and still being on Eastern Time from the trip to SC led to a visit to the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve right at opening. After two weeks of mostly quiet birding, it's noticeable just how bad the noise pollution is there, between the housing construction project to the north and being directly below a major flight path for aircraft, plus the occasional maintenance truck or golf cart. Regardless, while I didn't see anything new for the year, I did get a decent recording of a Crissal Thrasher and two out-of season rarities: a Horned Grebe and four Northern Pintails.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113370584

• Like 3