Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!

Kevin

53 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Very nice!! I'd have 2 or 3 life birds on that checklist, and uncounted year birds.

I'd have 25 (all minus Barn Swallow and the four that are invasive in the US). I really do need to bird outside the US someday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Absolutely nothing special here.  We're installing a software upgrade on an application server.  I could sit in the A/C and watch the progress bar creep across the screen for an hour-plus, or walk the perimeter of the plant property at 90F.  Guess which one I chose?

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113692160

It’s 104 here right now.

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

It’s 104 here right now.

Last night I asked Siri for the hottest city in the world and 4 Arizona cities were tied at 114!  Where are you?

Edited by dragon49

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Absolutely nothing special here.  We're installing a software upgrade on an application server.  I could sit in the A/C and watch the progress bar creep across the screen for an hour-plus, or walk the perimeter of the plant property at 90F.  Guess which one I chose?

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113692160

Do you hear the American Crow calls, or can you tell the subtle physical differences between them and Fish Crows?  I report Fish Crows almost every day, as all I ever hear are their nasal calls.  I need an American Crow for a lifer.

41 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

Do you hear the American Crow calls, or can you tell the subtle physical differences between them and Fish Crows?  I report Fish Crows almost every day, as all I ever hear are their nasal calls.  I need an American Crow for a lifer.

When I was in South Carolina, my crow counts were based on sounds. When they didn't vocalize, I just put down "crow sp."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Last night I asked Siri for the hottest city in the world and 4 Arizona cities were tied at 114!  Where are you?

Orange County, Ca. It’s around 15 degrees hotter ten miles inland than right on the coast, though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I can hear the difference in calls.  With a group this morning, we heard one of each.

Otherwise, I agree with @Zoroark: if I don't hear it, 'crow sp.'

• Like 1

I'm certainly not itching to go outside in this heat. 😅 Don't expect any checklists from me for a bit, unless I go up the mountain or see something interesting in the yard.

Screenshot from 2022-06-25 15-34-00.png

Edited by Zoroark
Accidentally had the mouse-hover text in the screenshot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I don't come to this hotspot much but showed up to find the American White Pelican that people have been reporting here, as I need it for a lifer.  Unfortunately, it was nowhere to be found, but I had a good trip, nonetheless.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S113834698

I absolutely love Wakodahatchee. One of the classic Florida spots imo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blackburnian said:

I absolutely love Wakodahatchee. One of the classic Florida spots imo. 

Always a challenge to do my best to count the Wood Storks.  My counts tend to be higher than others.  I assume you are familiar with Green Cay as well.  If you haven't been there, you definitely need to check out the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge.  The Marsh Trail is the popular birding spot there, but the seemingly never-ending Levee Trail is an awesome spot as well.

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Do you use flash for your images? I’d suggest not doing it in most situations, especially in sunlight, as it makes the colors look weird as shown in your Limpkin shots. 

I see nothing to indicate the use of flash in any of the photos on that checklist. The Limpkin photos show a bird partially shaded from full sunshine. The sunlight is falling on the grass behind the shaded shoulder of the bird whereas flash would have to highlight the shoulder in order to be that bright on the grass behind it.

Edited by lonestranger