Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Your checklist of the day!


Kevin
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

Do you use flash for your images? I’d suggest not doing it in most situations, especially in sunlight, as it makes the colors look weird as shown in your Limpkin shots. 

 

39 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I see nothing to indicate the use of flash in any of the photos on that checklist. The Limpkin photos show a bird partially shaded from full sunshine. The sunlight is falling on the grass behind the shaded shoulder of the bird whereas flash would have to highlight the shoulder in order to be that bright on the grass behind it.

The flash fired for all of my pictures today.  Take a look at https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/462991731 for evidence.  Ebird shows the properties.

I noticed different colorings since I switched to auto mode.  Some better, others worse.  I always have the flash up but was under the impression that the flash would only fire when the camera thought ti needed to fire, but it looks like it just goes off with every shot now.  I'm reaching to a Nikon forum for assistance with this now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

Do you use flash for your images? I’d suggest not doing it in most situations, especially in sunlight, as it makes the colors look weird as shown in your Limpkin shots. 

 

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I see nothing to indicate the use of flash in any of the photos on that checklist. The Limpkin photos show a bird partially shaded from full sunshine. The sunlight is falling on the grass behind the shaded shoulder of the bird whereas flash would have to highlight the shoulder in order to be that bright on the grass behind it.

 

31 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

 

The flash fired for all of my pictures today.  Take a look at https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/462991731 for evidence.  Ebird shows the properties.

I noticed different colorings since I switched to auto mode.  Some better, others worse.  I always have the flash up but was under the impression that the flash would only fire when the camera thought ti needed to fire, but it looks like it just goes off with every shot now.  I'm reaching to a Nikon forum for assistance with this now.

Well, I can't argue about whether the flash fired or not. I apologize, @IKLland, it obviously did fire. I still don't see anything in the photo to indicate the use flash though. In order for the on-camera flash to be effective, the bird would need to be fairly close because the flash only reaches 11 feet on zoom and 22 feet on wide angle. While the flash must have fired, I question whether @dragon49 was close enough for it to have much, if any, effect. 

Then again it's entirely possible that I simply can't see the effect of flash, if it's there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

 

 

Well, I can't argue about whether the flash fired or not. I apologize, @IKLland, it obviously did fire. I still don't see anything in the photo to indicate the use flash though. In order for the on-camera flash to be effective, the bird would need to be fairly close because the flash only reaches 11 feet on zoom and 22 feet on wide angle. While the flash must have fired, I question whether @dragon49 was close enough for it to have much, if any, effect. 

Then again it's entirely possible that I simply can't see the effect of flash, if it's there.

I was using zoom.  I don't want to badly guess the distance now, but I know exactly where I was and where the Limpkin was, and I will be there tomorrow morning, and will write back with the distance when I return. 

Edited by dragon49
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I was using zoom.  I don't want to badly guess the distance now, but I know exactly where I was and where the Limpkin was, and I will be there tomorrow morning, and will write back with the distance when I return. 

I was approximately 15 feet away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I was approximately 15 feet away.

I doubt that the flash reached the bird, but @IKLland is right about flash affecting the colors in a flash fired photo. I can't see it, but the colors could be affected even if the flash doesn't reach its target simply because the camera would change the white balance because it thinks the target is going to be illuminate with artificial flash, not the natural light of the sun. Like I said, I can't see the weird colors, but I won't deny the possibility is there for the camera to skew the colors with the wrong white balance because of the flash.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I doubt that the flash reached the bird, but @IKLland is right about flash affecting the colors in a flash fired photo. I can't see it, but the colors could be affected even if the flash doesn't reach its target simply because the camera would change the white balance because it thinks the target is going to be illuminate with artificial flash, not the natural light of the sun. Like I said, I can't see the weird colors, but I won't deny the possibility is there for the camera to skew the colors with the wrong white balance because of the flash.

The colors were overdone yesterday, presumably due to the flash firing when it wasn't necessary.

Anyway, Nikon Support resolved the problem for me.  I had the flash set to "fill flash," which caused it to fire every time it was up.  I changed this to "auto."

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good day as always.  I love reporting infrequent species to the area, such as the three, Swallow-tailed Kite flyovers.  I'm getting better at identifying birds by their flight patterns.  The Swallow-tailed kites do this weird thing when they get to the lowest point.  Looks like a quarter to half turn in one direction, followed by an upward glide in the opposite direction.  I wonder whether this is aerodynamically based, or if it helps find ground food.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S114464685

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Had a great time birding with @Tanager 101 , @Seanbirds , and @Bombycilla Cedorum over the weekend! I guess since they ain't gunna post the checklist, I will. Here's a good one from Saturday evening, lots of nice stuff! Sean spotted my lifer American Beaver...super cool. I'll have pics up in a while. https://ebird.org/checklist/S114359493

Thanks man! Yeah that was awesome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Had a great time birding with @Tanager 101 , @Seanbirds , and @Bombycilla Cedorum over the weekend! I guess since they ain't gunna post the checklist, I will. Here's a good one from Saturday evening, lots of nice stuff! Sean spotted my lifer American Beaver...super cool. I'll have pics up in a while. https://ebird.org/checklist/S114359493

 

24 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Thanks man! Yeah that was awesome.

Me be very happy about dis:

1717352438_ScreenShot2022-07-05at7_00_45PM.thumb.png.e3f1536d23ae1b0baa5482c79d9b5695.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...