Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
sbruenjes

Help with terns

I saw these birds in Cape May, NJ at the beginning of June. The beak color of the two birds, and the white patch on the cap are confusing me.... are these both common terns? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0693IMG_0804

But don't quote me on the second one since I don't have any experience with common terns and there could be some gray on the body. 

8 minutes ago, dred said:

First one is a least tern 

Second looks like a forsters tern 

I'm not 100% on the second either, but I'm thinking Forster's as well. Agreed on Least for 1.

That explains my confusion on the coloring! Thank you! I'm curious because I'm trying to get better with terns. is it the beak, cap, body, or wingtips that make you all lean towards Forster's tern?

Also, this tern, which I saw in Clearwater Fla in May seems to have black feet? Which type of tern would this be?

tern

11 minutes ago, sbruenjes said:

That's what I thought. Can you differentiate from a Caspian tern because of the bill? 

That's one key to figuring them out, also Caspian have more black on their wing tips compared to Royal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nighthawk01 said:

I believe Caspian Terns are also BARELY larger than Royal Terns. I’m probably wrong, though.

Yes, I think Caspian is the largest tern in the world, if I remember correctly.