Whatbird Community

South TX: Rufous or Allen's?

Hello.

I have a new visitor to my hummingbird feeder!

I believe it to be a juvenile male Rufous, but I have had an Allen's here once two years ago...

I don't know if anything can be gleaned from the photos. I also have some video (if the two species can be distinguished by sound).

As for behavior, this hummer has been chasing away ruby-throats, and perching on a bush near the feeder.

Photos taken yesterday at my home in Corpus Christi, TX.

Thank you.

42706132930_a2cd83bf5e_b.jpg_DSH5164pp by Andrew Lyall, on Flickr

42706131900_5252969817_b.jpg_DSH5245pp by Andrew Lyall, on Flickr

42706132380_89250b5edc_b.jpg_DSH5225pp by Andrew Lyall, on Flickr

44465240012_019d61c011_b.jpg_DSH5215pp by Andrew Lyall, on Flickr

It’s gonna be tough. The experts might be able to help, but generally you have to have one in your hand to tell the difference. I believe it’s by measuring the tail feathers?? Generally, if there is green on the back it’s more likely an allens (I believe roughly 5% of Rufous show green) and if it’s all Rufous with no green on the back it’s most likely a Rufous (I believe about 5% of Allens show all Rufous also 🤦🏼‍♂️)

I would guess Allens for yours.

when reading ing this post remember that 96% of all stats are made up. Or was it 75% 🤷🏼‍♂️🤪

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TooFly said:

It’s gonna be tough. The experts might be able to help, but generally you have to have one in your hand to tell the difference. I believe it’s by measuring the tail feathers?? Generally, if there is green on the back it’s more likely an allens (I believe roughly 5% of Rufous show green) and if it’s all Rufous with no green on the back it’s most likely a Rufous (I believe about 5% of Allens show all Rufous also 🤦🏼‍♂️)

I would guess Allens for yours.

when reading ing this post remember that 96% of all stats are made up. Or was it 75% 🤷🏼‍♂️🤪

The rule only applies to adult males. About 5-10% of Rufous adult males show green backs like Allen's adult males. All Allen's adult males (and actually all ages/both sexes) show green backs. 

So an adult male is safely IDable as a Rufous if the back is mostly to entirely Rufous. It doesn't the other way: an adult male with a green back is probably an Allen's, but could be either species- not an easy ID there. 

One other note- all Rufous AND Allen's adult females and juveniles have green backs. So a non-adult male is simply not identifiably without a good look and/or photos of the outer tail feathers. 

We have that in the photo here, but I don't have a field guide in front of me. I'll take a look.

50 minutes ago, akiley said:

@Andrew_Lyall I'm curious as to how you identified Allen's at your feeders two years ago.

I can't take credit for the id.

I posted some photos in this forum, and darknight thought that it might be an Allen's, and contacted Ms. Sheri L. Williamson.

Ms. Williamson then identified it as an Allen's in response to this photo:

Allen's Hummingbird

The current hummingbird is here for a third day, so I will attempt to get more photos.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew_Lyall said:

I can't take credit for the id.

I posted some photos in this forum, and darknight thought that it might be an Allen's, and contacted Ms. Sheri L. Williamson.

Ms. Williamson then identified it as an Allen's in response to this photo:

Allen's Hummingbird

The current hummingbird is here for a third day, so I will attempt to get more photos.

Nice! Sheri Williamson is THE hummingbird expert.

• Like 1