Whatbird Community

Kinda cool thing

These aren't mine, but the shots on this checklist of a Smooth-billed Ani are insane good. I guess if I win the lottery, I'll have to get a Canon Mirrorless!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82634153

No, I wouldn't get a Mirrorless over an SLR. I was just listening to a professional photographer recently and he said you just can't get out of a Mirrorless what your can get out of a Single Lens Reflex (SLR), especially a full frame. He owns both and they both are both very expensive cameras, so I guess he knows what he is saying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

No, I wouldn't get a Mirrorless over an SLR. I was just listening to a professional photographer recently and he said you just can't get out of a Mirrorless what your can get out of a Single Lens Reflex (SLR), especially a full frame. He owns both and they both are both very expensive cameras, so I guess he knows what he is saying.

Mirrorless cameras are getting better, though, and I hear the R5 is amazing with its Eye AF.  I would love to have a quiet camera and be able to see the histogram in my viewfinder, too!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Mirrorless cameras are getting better, though, and I hear the R5 is amazing with its Eye AF.  I would love to have a quiet camera and be able to see the histogram in my viewfinder, too!

Yeah, until the R5 and 6 came out, everyone was saying go with DSLR.  My camera is so loud, I personally would love a quieter camera. An older friend of mine actually just upgraded his camera, and got the R6, though he is still figuring out his settings and all since it was a pretty big step up from his previous gear. 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, neilpa said:

If we're opining about super expensive cameras, the upcoming Sony α1 would be top of my want list.

I'm a Sony shooter so the a1 is the stuff dreams are made of but these rumors are UNREAL!

Canon EOS R1 Specifications: (Rumored)

• Approx: 85MP global shutter CMOS imaging sensor
  • Approx: 85MP at 20fps, 21MP at 40fps unlimited continued shooting
  • Full Sensor Large Quad Pixel Auto Focus
  • 15.5 EV+ Dynamic Range
  • ISO 160-1638400
  • 5-axis IBIS up to 9 stops
  • 3.5” 9.33MP 1280nit 10-bit WCG RGB-OLED touch screen with 120Hz AE-AF
  • 9.44MP 120Hz SuperSpeed AE-AF electronic viewfinder
  • Price $8,500USD

eBird recently updated the data base for  Birds of the World, Merlin, and eBird and replaced/added new photos and audio. 
So as a way to delay doing any sort of school related work, I searched up peoples names (all that I could find on this thread) and lots of people on here had their photos and audio selected! I think all the media is from 2020 and below, but not sure.

Here’s the list so you can search up your own name incase I missed you: https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/media-contributors/

But here’s what I found:

@Connor Cochrane your photos of an Allen’s hummingbird, Ridgways Rail, and Bewicks wren are being used. 

@The Bird Nuts your Ruby-throated hummingbird photo is being used 

@Birding Boy your bank swallow photo is being used 

@DLecy your Rufous-winged sparrow audio is being used 

@RobinHood your photo of a least bittern is being used 

@Tony Leukeringyour photos of an Inca Dove, Black swift, and broad-winged hawk are being used 

Anyways, thought that was very cool! 

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1