Whatbird Community
sws

Black bird from iPhone video please

This bird was seen at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Preserve, East Pond in New York. The tail seemed very short but difficult to tell overall bird shape as is was windy and the bird was fluffed up.  Did not seem to be red winged blackbird or grackle. It seemed as though there was some white coming through on the head, the rest was very black.  Beak was black. Sorry for the not so great video.  

Thanks! 

Would you mind posting a few screenshots?  Sorry, I can't view videos. :(

@Aveschapines  I tried three different browsers and I still cannot view videos uploaded to the forum.  Does it only work on Google Chrome or something?

I can see the second vid . My best guess of BH Cowbird

Edited by Avery

When seeing the bird the beak seemed much smaller than what I have seen on a cowbird. 

This looks closer to what I saw. Can someone explain the tail length and wing length seemingly being equal? 

1 minute ago, sws said:

Can someone explain the tail length and wing length seemingly being equal? 

I'd guess (just looking at the screenshots) that the tail is lifted up and towards you, making it look shorter.

• Like 1

That is what I initially thought.. but it was a very good optical illusion! I am guessing that there is no similar bird that would have such a short tail. 

I do not think it was a starling beak. Also the the beak was black and there was no other markings to suggest juvenile starling. It was very black except for the slight white peaking through on the head.  When I first saw the bird I thought starling but to me, did not add up.  

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Would you mind posting a few screenshots?  Sorry, I can't view videos. 😞

@Aveschapines  I tried three different browsers and I still cannot view videos uploaded to the forum.  Does it only work on Google Chrome or something?

On Chrome the first link gives me a WhatBird error message, and the second one opens a link to save the video to my computer, which I don't want to do. Are you having trouble with all videos or just in this thread?

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Would you mind posting a few screenshots?  Sorry, I can't view videos. 😞

On Chrome the first link gives me a WhatBird error message, and the second one opens a link to save the video to my computer, which I don't want to do. Are you having trouble with all videos or just in this thread?

This is the closest picture I could find to what I saw, beak Proportion etc, tail excluded883C008C-6876-41B6-B47A-056BC899BA4E.thumb.png.21262312c2558119d2a89601f985aa2f.png.  although on my bird there was whitish feathers showing on the head suggesting to me juvenile something.  (Not saying this was the bird)

No it was completely black on body only slightly white coming through on the head.  No spots no modulation and no hint of that brownish color. I looked through binoculars to pretty sure was all very black on body. 

1 hour ago, Aveschapines said:

I think I haven't been able to see any videos that are uploaded directly to the forum.  I was able to download the video on the Brave browser, but it was just black with sound when I opened it.  Firefox shows an embedded blank video with sound.  Thanks for looking into this, @Aveschapines.  It's probably just my settings.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I think I haven't been able to see any videos that are uploaded directly to the forum.  I was able to download the video on the Brave browser, but it was just black with sound when I opened it.  Firefox shows an embedded blank video with sound.  Thanks for looking into this, @Aveschapines.  It's probably just my settings.

Sorry I couldn't hep more. I rarely if ever click on links, and often don't watch videos because they tend to be difficult with my internet and I don't have unlimited data. 

The white I saw on the head seemed similar to this red winged blackbird image below. Could this bird have been a juvenile red winged blackbird with any wing colors hiding in the ruffled feathers? 

FAAD26B6-1757-4F6B-A993-CF79E169C9CD.png