Whatbird Community
harpoon659

Mystery Warblers in Northern Virginia

All seen at Riverbend Park in northern Virginia on 21 Sep 2020.  Greatly appreciate any help.

#1  Seen in low brush with a flock of Cape May Warblers.  Another Cape May, or something else?

#2  Seen at height in the forest.  No idea!  Help!

#3  Seen at height in the forest.  Maybe a Nashville Warbler?

191347411_IMG_4334CROPPED.jpg.192ad201183c4f1df22a658ec8a9cbc0.jpg

1829982775_IMG_4255cropped.jpg.0718c7d3983c93639f30f489f37b4d71.jpg

2111782521_IMG_4245cropped.jpg.755e9bec65a0f37c1727ae06b4cb0540.jpg

6 hours ago, blackburnian said:

All look like Cape May. 

Unstreaked below, yellowish overall. No wing bars. Thick blue legs. How exactly is the last bird a cape may?

Okay I understand there is a desire to ID as many of these photos as possible on this forum, as that is literally the purpose of the forum. However, when photos are not IDable, lets not push an ID onto them just because it might be right.

Could photo 2 be a Cape May Warbler? Sure, possibly, it could be. But that photo is certainly not conclusive. It should be left unidentified. Its probably a Cape May, but we can't say that with any degree of certainty from the photo alone. 

@Benjamin

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Okay I understand there is a desire to ID as many of these photos as possible on this forum, as that is literally the purpose of the forum. However, when photos are not IDable, lets not push an ID onto them just because it might be right.

Could photo 2 be a Cape May Warbler? Sure, possibly, it could be. But that photo is certainly not conclusive. It should be left unidentified. Its probably a Cape May, but we can't say that with any degree of certainty from the photo alone. 

@Benjamin

I suppose that's a fair point, but what other warbler is brown and white overall with dense thin streaming below?

Many thanks for the hearty debate on this, and for all the many superb IDs that you and your colleagues have provided with numerous of my postings.  Whatbird is an indispensable and priceless resource for birders like me who want to get it right.  As for photos like these, I'm perfectly happy to push them into my unknown category (along with my Empids!) when the shots just aren't good enough.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:13 AM, Benjamin said:

I suppose that's a fair point, but what other warbler is brown and white overall with dense thin streaming below?

I wouldn’t be confident saying that that bird isn’t, say, a Yellow-rumpled Warbler, or a particularly streaky Blackpoll