Whatbird Community

Hello All,

I live in Henderson, NV, in the foothills of desert brush and cactus.  The attached sketch (apology, I'm 75 y.o. and never an artist) represents a brown bird about the size of a small sparrow with a black eye, a clearly defined, large, yellowish-buff cheek patch and a rounded, forked tail with a soft, white line following the contours of the "a little longer that normal" tail.  It was 40' away, drinking and bathing in my garden pond.  I watched it through 7x35 binos w/ good optics.  At first I thought it might be a sparrow until I saw it through the glasses.  I remember it flitted like a verdin.  I don't remember any wing bars.  I have scoured Peterson's and Audubon, both US and Mexico, but no hits. 

Anybody have any ideas? 

Backyard Bird unk..pdf

Cactus Wren?

If that's not it, what was the main color of the bird and what was the color of the tail?  Did you note shape and color of the bill?  Any other markings on the face or wings?

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Have you tried something like Merlin Bird ID, where it walks you through each characteristic of the bird and gives you a list of possible results? Programs like that can be helpful in cases like this.