Whatbird Community

Sept. 22nd, 2020.  Michigan's Upper Peninsula, eastern end.  Low shrubby meadows with scattered mixed deciduous and evergreen trees.  The bill appears very heavy with a noticeable bump.  The tail definitely appears to be more graduated and not blunt.  Unfortunately, I did not see the bird fly, and it made no sounds.

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.3f79a3e8d0fbdba0b230a408efbfbbfa.png

n

Edited by Charlie Spencer

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

Have you been up to Whitefish Point, yet? It's THE premier birding spot in Yooperland.

We were in the UP last week.  I spent a few hours at Whitefish.  Not as long as I'd like but I try to avoid subjecting my non-birding Darling Bride to too much of me staring through binos.  Fortunately, the Shipwreck Museum and other historic displays there kept her well entertained.  

In retrospect, I probably saw plenty of ravens on the trip but I couldn't convince myself they weren't just big crows.  Usually I saw them in groups of 10 or more, and I'd read CORAs are mostly solitary.

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

We were in the UP last week.  I spent a few hours at Whitefish.  Not as long as I'd like but I try to avoid subjecting my non-birding Darling Bride to too much of me staring through binos.  Fortunately, the Shipwreck Museum and other historic displays there kept her well entertained.  

In retrospect, I probably saw plenty of ravens on the trip but I couldn't convince myself they weren't just big crows.  Usually I saw them in groups of 10 or more, and I'd read CORAs are mostly solitary.

While it's certainly true that Common Ravens are generally a bit more solitary than Crows, seeing more than one or even a group of them is not a reason to rule out Common Raven (particularly around concentrations of food).

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Usually I saw them in groups of 10 or more, and I'd read CORAs are mostly solitary.

So did I until  ... 

12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

While it's certainly true that Common Ravens are generally a bit more solitary than Crows, seeing more than one or even a group of them is not a reason to rule out Common Raven (particularly around concentrations of food).

Well, the necks looked too smooth too.  I know a variety of things can affect the degree of shagginess, but every bird looked unruffled.  None were around a bird buffet; they were mostly loosely scattered in adjoining treetops.

Mostly it was just that there were two birds I -really- wanted to get out of this trip.  I knew the Red-breasted Nuthatch would be unmistakable but I was convinced I'd misidentify an AMCR as a CORA.

Thanks, everybody.

Edited by Charlie Spencer