Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jodi Nielson

Starlings? Woodpeckers? what are these??? lol

Saw a bunch, less than 10, not really a "flock", of birds land in the top of a distant tree.  Decided to see if I could figure out what they were.  No joy.  Sorry for the poor quality (I hate posting ugly pics), but like I said, the tree was a fair distance from me.  The 4th pic was there with them, but he seems different.  Any help?

1914250615_unknownpair2.JPG.0024ea651f22f1c8b97118e840db4c13.JPGunknownbird4.JPG.f915e0a67bb52ccfbcdc236482d7a2bf.JPGunknownbird6.JPG.381d1e4f420c7602e4cf6a13fe586eff.JPGunknownbird7.thumb.JPG.2b9911d4586087f4125e233057517236.JPG

14 minutes ago, akandula said:

The first three photos are immature European Starlings and the last photo is a Cedar Waxwing.

I agree.

5 minutes ago, Jodi Nielson said:

Those dang Cedar Waxwings.  I've only seen 3 here and they are always too far away for a decent picture!

I think about 15 Cedar Waxwings is the smallest group I have seen, every winter I see them by the hundreds.

@Kevin  That would be amazing to see.  But nope, not here, at least not on my street, which is woods and pasture land.  I never seen more than 1 at a time, and only on 3 separate occasions.

22 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I think about 15 Cedar Waxwings is the smallest group I have seen, every winter I see them by the hundreds.

Where I live we really only get them in the summer so they’re usually in groups of less than ten. However I am noticing the flocks getting larger as it get later in the year. Never seen a flock in the hundreds before!

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I think about 15 Cedar Waxwings

I had a group of six during the last GBBC.

1 hour ago, Jodi Nielson said:

That would be amazing to see.  But nope, not here, at least not on my street, which is woods and pasture land.

Watch up high in those woods, esp. if any of those trees have small fruit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jodi Nielson said:

@Kevin  That would be amazing to see.  But nope, not here, at least not on my street, which is woods and pasture land.  I never seen more than 1 at a time, and only on 3 separate occasions.

1 hour ago, Colton V said:

Where I live we really only get them in the summer so they’re usually in groups of less than ten. However I am noticing the flocks getting larger as it get later in the year. Never seen a flock in the hundreds before!

Last year we left the house early one morning and we must have caught them in migration. For several miles there were Ceder Waxwings by the hundreds, in the trees, in the air, and on the ground. Had to be a million of them in a couple square miles. It was pretty impressive.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Jodi Nielson said:

Saw a bunch... of birds land in the top of a distant tree

Just these parts of your first sentence rule out woodpeckers. Yes, one can see many Northern Flickers perched in the top of a tree, but they don't get there as a "bunch," but one-by-one as individuals, often over quite some time. Many or most survival behaviors are innate in birds, so can be counted on to be ID-useful. Pay attention to what birds do, not only their appearance.

• Like 1