Whatbird Community

Recently Passed through Valentine NWR on way to  Badlands and spotted these very yellowish appearing birds that struck me as sparrows, certainly sparrow size - sort of squat, but bold yellowish streaks down center of the head and the sides of head and very little streaking on a large expanse of cream yellow on the breast and no clear sparrow match. They don't have the beaks for warblers.  They  also seemed too small to be Bobolinks which are robin sized. Any help from the experts would be appreciated. 

BB

1891985633_birdid4.thumb.jpg.248ec703ad84a43ab48def3141fa6027.jpg1026473658_birdid3.thumb.jpg.52ebb004a0d426698c0be782405778c3.jpg1660312617_birdid1.thumb.jpg.73eec37f8f74ffc07abcfaffe8c5b12b.jpg987434651_birdid2.thumb.jpg.3683acd40ec2b9093f5e8b4b2d522ceb.jpg

3 hours ago, TowheeTea said:

They  also seemed too small to be Bobolinks which are robin sized.

BOBO are much smaller than American Robins. I had to look up the difference, but Sibley says 10" for AMRO, 7" for BOBO. In fact, my impression is that BOBO is the smallest ABA-Area species of blackbird (Icteridae). I think that it's even smaller than Orchard Oriole.

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
6 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

In fact, my impression is that BOBO is the smallest ABA-Area species of blackbird (Icteridae).

Agreed. They are pretty small, even a little smaller than Brown-headed Cowbirds. But though a little smaller, to me as a general impression the size and shape are pretty reminiscent of Brown-headed Cowbird. (Rather big headed).