Whatbird Community

I did not take this photo.  I was posted on a FB page. The person lives in North Carolina and I believe that he believes this is a Kirkland's warbler, but I don't think it is.  I took a photo of it with my phone, but the eye-ring looks complete, not broken like a Kirkland's and there seems to be more spots than the photo's I've looked at of them.  The bill also looks wrong. Can anyone confirm this is a Kirkland's?

IMG-2853.jpg

That's kind of what I thought. I'm not good at identifying warblers, at all, but the broken eye-ring was easy to spot in the photo.  I spotted a Magnolia warbler this year, a first for me, and it looked very similar to this one, just not as many streaks, and a few other things that made it hard for me to ID. In fact, I asked for help IDing  it in the forum here. Anyway, thank you!

5 minutes ago, akandula said:

I honestly like Kirtland’s with that brown back, lack of distinct wingbars, and extensively spotted breast/throat, among other features.

Aw, man!  Everybody was happy with Magnolia and you had to open your bill again!  :classic_tongue:

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Aw, man!  Everybody was happy with Magnolia and you had to open your bill again!  :classic_tongue:

I always have my bill open... it's such a tough job to keep reminding people to drink their tea! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

This is obviously a Kirtland’s Warbler. I assume this is the same bird that was seen by myself and many others last week at Jordan Lake. Please let me know if this is a different bird so I can get the word out. 

This is the photo I saw on The Naturalist Notebook and yes, it was taken at Jordan Lake.  I'll admit, I'm a bit of a skeptic, at times, and in this case, I wanted it to be true because, as a bird lover, it would be truly one of the highlights bird watching, and although I'd be happy for the spotter, I'd be really jealous, as well. 
Because I am terrible at identifying birds, warblers in particular, I decided to ask here.  The photo really is a great photo but because warblers are so hard to ID, they have such similar but subtle differences, at least for me, that I try to get as many photos as I can from all sides/angles in order to help ID them.  I'm rooting that it is, because how cool would that be?  The right place right time during migration of such a rare and beautiful bird. I guess I'll wait to see if anyone else has any thoughts on this.  My thought was it's a Magnolia, but as I said, warblers are not my thing.

Edited by Laura

This is a Kirtland’s Warbler. It was seen and photographed by over 120 birders over the course of 4 days, including myself. They are rare but increasingly common migrants in NC. 

Edited by blackburnian
2 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

This is a Kirtland’s Warbler. It was seen and photographed by over 120 birders over the course of 4 days, including myself. They are rare but increasingly common migrants in NC. 

Well, that is awesome!  I wish we lived in the migration range. I'm glad so many people got to see it.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Awesome bird. My sister went and saw it twice and she's not on eBird. Plus she took different passengers each time, most of whom are not on e-bird either, so hard to say for sure how many saw it. I couldn't believe how long it stayed. @blackburnian do you have any idea how far some people may have traveled to see it? I think I would have had about 5 hours which was farther than I was prepared to go, but some people will do 5 hours that at the drop of a floppy birder's hat.

3 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Awesome bird. My sister went and saw it twice and she's not on eBird. Plus she took different passengers each time, most of whom are not on e-bird either, so hard to say for sure how many saw it. I couldn't believe how long it stayed. @blackburnian do you have any idea how far some people may have traveled to see it? I think I would have had about 5 hours which was farther than I was prepared to go, but some people will do 5 hours that at the drop of a floppy birder's hat.

I know that some drove 4-6 hours. This bird didn’t stay as long as the 2018 bird. I’ve been lucky enough to see two in the state. 

• Like 1