Whatbird Community

Bird ID help please!

Hi! I'll apologize in advance, I don't have a lot to go on.

I'm in southwest Washington state near Portland, OR and have been hearing a bird in my yard, but haven't spotted it.

However, the call is unlike anything I've ever heard! 

A descending major triad, really clear, with a repeated note at the end. 

Usually C#-A#-A#-F#(2-3x more F# softly)

I hope someone is familiar with this one, thanks in advance! 🤗

Who knew that Golden-crowned Sparrows only sing in the key of F# Major!? 

Though in the recording Colton linked the bird switches key centers, modulating between F# Major and Ab Major! What a brilliant theorist!

Who says the next Coltrane can't be a bird? Next thing you know you'll walk outside and hear Giant Steps being whistled from a bush.

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Though in the recording Colton linked the bird switches key centers, modulating between F# Major and Ab Major! What a brilliant theorist!

Who says the next Coltrane can't be a bird? Next thing you know you'll walk outside and hear Giant Steps being whistled from a bush.

I like the Brown Creeper’s song because it sounds like the first few notes of my high school’s fight song!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Yeah, I understood even less of that than of @musicianista's original post  :classic_blink:

I made an ultimately futile effort to listen to classical music five or six years ago.   I was getting hung up on web sites and forums discussing the theory and terminology, when I realized it was because the music itself just wasn't interesting me.  I was trying to force myself to enjoy it because I've always been told it's good.  After a four or five months, I realized I was going nowhere and gave it up.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

23 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yeah, I understood even less of that than of @musicianista's original post  :classic_blink:

I made an ultimately futile effort to listen to classical music five or six years ago.   I was getting hung up on web sites and forums discussing the theory and terminology, when I realized it was because the music itself just wasn't interesting me.  I was trying to force myself to enjoy it because I've always been told it's good.  After a four or five months, I realized I was going nowhere and gave it up.

Giant Steps: 

One of the most famous and influential Jazz pieces. It is know for its rapid changes in key. When @Benjamin is talking about is you cna har in the recording that the song changes key signature. Also that recording is half a mile away from where I live. I've met that guy before.

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

One of the most famous and influential Jazz pieces.

I'll take your word.  Everything after 0:30 sounded like random notes to me; the piano less so than the ... sax?  I couldn't find anything like a melody to get a mental grip on.  I don't expect to be able to tell where a piece is going, but I couldn't tell where this one had been.   I don't think I know how to tell a key change; indeed, attempting to grasp the concept of a key frustrated the bejeezus out of me (still does).

My previous comment wasn't so much about any individual piece as my failure to understand the terminology y'all were using, even when I was trying to research it.  I was getting hung up trying to understand what people were talking about without realizing I didn't actively enjoy anything I was hearing.  It would be like getting wrapped up trying to identify patagials or coverts or lores and then realizing you didn't really care much about birds in the first place, that you were forcing yourself because everyone said birding was something to do while isolating.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Not to get too far from the original topic of this post (LOL), but...

I was classically trained as pianist as a child, but looking back there's really just a ton of elitism within classical music. People gatekeep 'popular' music saying it's "not complicated enough" but really that's an arbitrary measure-- music is a subjective human experience, not an objective one. Art is no less art even if you don't approach it in a highly technical, complicated manner. (That said, there may be an argument against the corporatized nature of most 'popular' music and art within the modern era.)

I love jazz/funk/hip-hop fusion, (check Hiatus Kaiyote, Men I Trust, or Tyler the Creator if you're interested), but I don't think there's any more or less inherent value to that style of music than any other. Yes, some of it may be more musically complex than other types of music, but that's really just personal preference. Don't let anyone else tell you what music to listen to or what art to enjoy, just listen to stuff that makes you feel damn good.

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I was classically trained as pianist as a child, but looking back there's really just a ton of elitism within classical music.

Sorry, out of 'Likes' again.  I'll swing back and add one later.

At the time, I found a couple of very welcoming sites with plenty of people willing to answer questions.  There was one person who really got his nose out of joint when I described a Shostakovitch work as 'bombastic', but he was the only one.

Respectfully, what I did found was that almost everyone who appreciated 'art' music already played an instrument or had some musical background or training.  I see how that can lead to an appreciation, and there must be plenty of people who enjoy classical or jazz but don't play.  Still, the frequent recommendations to take up an instrument did play a part in my dropping my investigation.  I absolutely hate physical practice.  I enjoy watching golf on the tube but I know actually picking up a club would frustrate the guano out of me.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Rspectfully, what I did found was that almost everyone who appreciated 'art' music already played an instrument or had some musical background or training.  I see how that can lead to an appreciation, and there must be plenty of people who enjoy classical or jazz but don't play.

If you're referring to jazz and classical as 'art music' (not really sure I like that term), then you're absolutely right. That's where a lot of elitism comes from.

When you have an understanding of how (western) music is constructed, you're going to notice and appreciate different things about music. Just like how a painter might be able to better 'read' the paint on a canvas and appreciate the subtle nuance of an artist's technique, so too can a musician appreciate more complex elements of (western) music that other listeners would not understand or notice.

Jazz and Classical music are certainly "the musician's" music.

• Like 1