Whatbird Community

Small bird in grasslands - Wood Pewee?

This bird was photographed a few days ago in the Ramona Grasslands.  I can't find a good fit in iBird Pro, but it may be a Western Wood-Pewee.  Estimate its size at about 5".

200915_074538_9074_ILCE-9.jpg

6 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Where is Ramona Grasslands? Helpful to know location 

There is one a little NE of San Diego. It’s pretty far west if it is there. It would be rare. You don’t really get them to often until the salton sea. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Where is Ramona Grasslands? Helpful to know location 

It's a Hotspot in eBird.  Look for "Ramona Grasslands Preserve".  The hotspots "Ramona Grasslands--Old Survey Road 97" and  "Rangeland Road" are also around the grasslands.

Edited by DC064

Thanks everyone for the ID!  I am surprised since the bird does not have a trace of vermilion and vermilion flycatchers are uncommon in this area.  Maybe there are more and we misidentify them.  It's great to have so many experts available via this site.

It's a juvenile or immature, possibly female; that's why you don't see the vermillion color. Adult females have a reddish wash on the lower belly/vent area, and adult males have the bright vermillion color. Immature males have the red in patches as it grows in. The streaky breast also suggests juvenile or immature. I don't know if I've ever seen one with no red or even orangey or yellowish wash, though.