Whatbird Community

Dowitcher

I found this solo Dowitcher north of Sheridan, WY tonight. It was alone on a small farm pond with Mallards and Green-winged Teal. Usually I see dowitchers in at least a small flock, and it SHOULD be a Long-billed, and may very well be. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but it seems to be missing the hunch in the back and the bill seemed shorter. It does have the larger round belly that is supposed to be a trait of the Long-billed, but looking at photos of both and allaboutbirds I see varying levels of belly roundness or skinniness on both. Basically for every one I see that should be one or the other, the next one looks like...the other. Anyway, all I know is I I see Long-billed because that's what I'm supposed to see, but if this is a Short-billed, I'll never tell the difference and someone with more experience might.

Thank you in advance...

2020%2010%2008%20Beatty%20Gulch%20Rd%20(

2020%2010%2008%20Beatty%20Gulch%20Rd%20(

This bird looks fine for a Long-billed Dowitcher. It is very chunky and has short primary projection. A Short-billed would be very rare there and this would be on the late end, in terms of date, for one to occur. Vocalizations are the best way to tell them apart when they look like this.