Whatbird Community

Don't think it's a juvenile cardinal or cedar waxwing ... BUT what IS it?

Hi!  This bird is confusing me ... saw it on the ground and around low branches of trees in Bruce Peninsula Ontario.  Just slightly smaller than a cardinal and absolutely no pink or reddish colour at all, (and beak slightly more pointy) he/she is tawny grey/brown with the dark brown on it's crest and a distinctive brown/black line from it's eye.  I thought maybe cedar waxwing but again .. was hanging solo and seems like it is something else (think it is too big to be a Tufted Titmouse ...) ....  Any suggestions?  I am a new birder so all my assumptions could be wrong LOL!

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 8.58.53 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 8.59.06 AM.jpg

Edited by KarenY
add more info

27 minutes ago, KarenY said:

Many many thanks for clarification!  As there are no stupid questions ... what is the difference between "Immature" and "Juvenile" ...

As I understand it, a juvenile is in its first plumage or set of feathers.  Once it begins to molt those juvenile feathers the bird becomes an immature (before it has all of its adult feathers/features).  In some species, like the White-crowned Sparrow, the bird will molt from its juvenile plumage into an intermediate immature plumage that they wear for a certain time before molting again into adult plumage.  White-crowned Sparrows are heavily streaked in juvenile plumage, so this is not a juvenile, and it is also not an adult because it doesn't have black crown stripes.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2