Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
asque2000

An oldie but a goodie

I posted this photo years ago on Whatbird (before the crash) and I had an assumed response which I have lived with to this day. Anyway, this bird was photographed April 4th 2016 in San Diego, CA. Input would be greatly appreciated. 

26225080956_bdaaafa796_k.jpgKingbird ID 2 by Seth Davis, on Flickr

The white chin and white edging to the outer tail feathers look good for Cassin's Kingbird.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

The white chin and white edging to the outer tail feathers look good for Cassin's Kingbird.

Wouldn’t white edging on tail feathers suggest Western?

Yes, you're right, my apologies; and in this case that might be an element of lighting coupled with wear. The gray chest and contrasting white chin still look better for Cassin's.

14 hours ago, Liam said:

Yes, you're right, my apologies; and in this case that might be an element of lighting coupled with wear. The gray chest and contrasting white chin still look better for Cassin's.

Awesome, thanks! That's what it was deemed the last time I posted it. I only brought it up again because there was a Western Kingbird spotted in Maine last week, and I needed the potential lifer boost to get the motivation to go out and get it, which I missed it by 1 day...

On 9/11/2018 at 10:07 AM, asque2000 said:

Awesome, thanks! That's what it was deemed the last time I posted it. I only brought it up again because there was a Western Kingbird spotted in Maine last week, and I needed the potential lifer boost to get the motivation to go out and get it, which I missed it by 1 day...

Sorry to hear that! Birding can be a Gambel ('s quail) sometime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cassin's also have pale outer webs on the outermost rectrices, those webs just aren't bright white and the paleness does not extend to the feather base.  Everything else about the bird looks fine for Cassin's, so....