Whatbird Community

Got this snap yesterday in my backyard in San Antonio.  We have lots of Carolina Chickadees around here, but this one looks different.  My guess is that it's a Black-capped Chickadee, although I don't believe they are typically this far south.  Thoughts?

7A0A3760.JPG

Carolina; at least, the bird show no suggestion of the white wing panel typical of Black-capped.

24 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Chickadees, especially Black-capped, basically never wander far...

Oklahoma's first Black-capped in >20 years is in Black Mesa SP. The species probably used to be more regular in the far-western panhandle, but WNV wiped the species out of 150 miles of the Arkansas River in Colorado and that population still hasn't recovered/returned.

And, of course, Mountain Chickadees periodically stage reasonably large flights onto the plains -- with a huge one going on now.

• Like 1
Just now, Tony Leukering said:

Carolina; at least, the bird show no suggestion of the white wing panel typical of Black-capped.

Oklahoma's first Black-capped in >20 years is in Black Mesa SP. The species probably used to be more regular in the far-western panhandle, but WNV wiped the species out of 150 miles of the Arkansas River in Colorado and that population still hasn't recovered/returned.

And, of course, Mountain Chickadees periodically stage reasonably large flights onto the plains -- with a huge one going on now.

I do know Mountains wander, but seeing a BCCH 50 miles out of its range is normally very, very unusual. Also Texas has had no BCCH records that I could find.