Whatbird Community

Taken 10/22 in Portland, OR. Initially struck me as an eagle, but it could also be a hawk or raven. The bird only looks entirely black in the photos because it was against a bright sky and my camera skills are horrible. I never got a good look at the bird's plumage though, so it could be all black. It was quite large, but it was far away so it was hard to tell exactly how large. Any thoughts based off of these meager photos?

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3929.JPG

The beak in photo #3 looks pretty big and hooked to me too.  I wouldn't call it an eagle based on that alone, but I would rule out a raven.

I don't see any difference between the first photos and the second set of edited one.  I don't see white in any of them, but that wouldn't rule out a Golden Eagle or an immature Bald Eagle.

'Aves sp.'  :classic_wink:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't see any difference between the first photos and the second set of edited one.  I don't see white in any of them

The only difference in the edited photos is you can see a tiny bit of white on the top of the tail. It's pretty hard to spot.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

I thought that that was the sky that I could see through a gap between the wing and tail

That's possible, but I thought the wing would be blocking the sky if there was a gap.