Whatbird Community

We used to have a thread something like this, where we would post not-so-good photos (as many of mine are!) and see who can ID the bird. I think we would leave it up for about 24 hours, or until someone correctly IDed (or guessed) what bird it is. I'll start with one I took today. After it is IDed, then anyone who wants to can post one for ID guessing. When one is posted, everyone else please wait until that bird is IDed before posting a new one. You may post one or more photos of the bird to be IDed. In this first one I'm posting 2 photos of the bird in question.

EDIT: I forgot to add, taken today in Sacramento, Calif. Please include this info on all photos posted.

Here goes....

50521205008_819716a5b2_z.jpgIMG_2866 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

50521929591_eb476ddfe0_z.jpgIMG_2865 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

Edited by Bird Brain
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rough-legged Hawk.

It's fine.  @Bird Brain said "After it is IDed, then anyone who wants to can post one for ID guessing."

That's true. I thought about saying that the winner would post next, but that way some people (like me!!) would never get a chance to post one because we'd never get one right! I think we're all matur

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Strong eyeline. Looks like red breasted. 

2 hours ago, BlueJay said:

I agree with Red-breasted Nuthatch.

That was fast!! Yep, Red-breasted Nuthatch it is. I first saw this one (or one just like it) in my yard a couple of weeks ago, and it was a new yard bird for me. Anyone else have a challenge to post?

1 minute ago, Bird Brain said:

That was fast!! Yep, Red-breasted Nuthatch it is. I first saw this one (or one just like it) in my yard a couple of weeks ago, and it was a new yard bird for me. Anyone else have a challenge to post?

I do. Let me pull it up

ah "a common bird the random tail can be found where ever birds are, with enormous geographic variation some have speculated that they are the tails of other species" 

Black-and-White Warbler 

Edited by MichaelLong
6 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

ah "a common bird the random tail can be found where ever birds are, with enormous geographic variation some have speculated that they are the tails of other species" 

Black-and-White Warbler 

Yes. 
I can put a harder one up unless you want to post one. 

51 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Tufted titmouse x Black-crested Titmouse?

I almost used one but I didn't think anyone would guess it. This one is actually pure Tufted.