Whatbird Community

1- Golden Eagle?  Arizona City- Very Large Bulky Bird.  Standing by Great Blue Heron on the edge of a canal. 

2 & 3- 15 minutes of preening and still going so hard to get good images of heads- cliff swallows with a Violet Green mixed in?  Do swallows fly in mixed flocks?

3- Hermit Thrush?  Landed a foot from and stared at me  while photographing a Painted Redstart...not so hermit!  Going with hermit due to rufous tail. Madera Canyon, AZ 

Thanks72349552_HermitThrush.thumb.JPG.75bd0aac956a086ca75822046ecf4325.JPG

golden eagle.JPG

Cliff and Violet Green Swallows.JPG

swallows 1.JPG

• Like 1

Your order got a little messed up, but the raptor is a Swanson's Hawk, your thrush a Hermit, and I'm seeing mostly Barn Swallows, though there is one that looks to have a squared tail and is this not a Barn.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, christine q said:

What specifically tell you it is a Swainston Hawk? Beak size?

Golden Eagles are bulkier, more substantial. This bird is slender. Beyond that, notice the uniformly dark plumage with white on the face.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just getting old, or it's past my bedtime, but the title of this thread is what caught my attention. Remove the commas and it reads, "Golden Eagle Swallows Hermit Thrush"! Sounds like the headlines of a newspaper for birds, maybe The Avian News Flash. Like I said, maybe I'm just getting old..........😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Golden Eagles have a contrastingly golden nape and don't have white forehead or throat. Look at the whole bird, assessing as many features as one can. Selecting a single feature and matching in the book is only a tiny portion of accurate bird ID. After that feature, you then have to rule out ALL of the other species that match that single feature, whatever it may be. Adding features assessed increases the chance of being correct.

• Like 2