Jump to content
Whatbird Community
MerMaeve

Whatbird's Young Birders!

Recommended Posts

Nice!

3 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Can I have more than one guess?

Ken Kaufman

Psweet

The Bird Nuts

Charlie Spencer

Rashida Tlaib :classic_blink:

One? This is more like five.:classic_tongue:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hooking up with the Carolina Bird Club for the first time this weekend.  They're running over 30 trips to over 25 locations from Fri. through Sun.  I've never been with an formal organization before, just on group walks scheduled by parks, etc.  I'm braced for my ego to get well bruised.

https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/meetings/2019/Charleston/trips/

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Better check his eBird counts.  :classic_wink:

I tried to like this but we're in the same "no likes" boat. But eBird it's much easier. Just count the legs and divide by two, three, or four, depending on how close you are to Chernobyl.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I bought Jerry Lee "The Killer" Lewis a beer once at one of his concerts about 40 some-odd years ago!! So there! (Come to think of it I didn't even think to get his autograph! Guess I'd had a few too many beers myself!! 🥴)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Well, I bought Jerry Lee "The Killer" Lewis a beer once at one of his concerts about 40 some-odd years ago!! So there! (Come to think of it I didn't even think to get his autograph! Guess I'd had a few too many beers myself!! 🥴)

I bought a can of 'Billy Beer' but I didn't drink it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an amazing day yesterday! I went to the Intermountain Bird Observatory in Boise and watched them band birds. The morning they banded songbirds, in the afternoon we hawkwatched, and then they banded owls all night! It was amazing. Highlights:

20190927_1037490.jpg

20190927_0904280.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

 

They also caught a harrier in the hawk nets! It was super cool to see him close up. They also caught a Tennessee Warbler, a really cool bird for Idaho! I was able to hold a lot of the birds including the saw whets and coopers hawks. They let me release a lot of the songbirds! It was awesome.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trevor L. said:

To all my high schoolers, have y’all had your Homecomings yet?

I homeschool, so no 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 6:35 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm hooking up with the Carolina Bird Club for the first time this weekend.  They're running over 30 trips to over 25 locations from Fri. through Sun.  I've never been with an formal organization before, just on group walks scheduled by parks, etc.  I'm braced for my ego to get well bruised.

https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/meetings/2019/Charleston/trips/

Not a bad weekend.  55 species, including 7 lifers and 1 more still under review.  I'm proudest of the Wilson's Snipe, since I spotted it after everyone else in the group had passed it, and I was able to get some easily ID'ed photos.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Not a bad weekend.  55 species, including 7 lifers and 1 more still under review.  I'm proudest of the Wilson's Snipe, since I spotted it after everyone else in the group had passed it, and I was able to get some easily ID'ed photos.

Wow, congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are all young birders homeschooled? I mean, it’s totally cool. I have a good friend who’s homeschooled. Just kinda surprised me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't remember knowing anyone who was home schooled.  I don't know if that was because I was a military brat and other brats were all we knew, or if it was that home schooling wasn't common in the '60s and '70s.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the young birder's discord, there's mostly public schoolers. I think maybe homeschoolers are more likely to be on forums instead of the latest hip thing 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trevor L. said:

How does one get there, @Melierax?

I don't have the link to it since I was banned for being politically incorrect :classic_laugh: . I'll ask someone to get you the link.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Melierax said:

I don't have the link to it since I was banned for being politically incorrect :classic_laugh: . I'll ask someone to get you the link.

Wait... you got banned for being politically incorrect? That’s kinda funny, not gonna lie, as much as it sucks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trevor L. said:

Wait... you got banned for being politically incorrect? That’s kinda funny, not gonna lie, as much as it sucks.

Yeah. Now I'm a part of the iNaturalist discord and I've learned my lesson - keep my mouth shut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Melierax said:

Yeah. Now I'm a part of the iNaturalist discord and I've learned my lesson - keep my mouth shut.

So I don’t get banned, what should I not talk about? You can DM me if you’d like to keep your political leanings private or not DM me at all if you don’t want to tell me at all. If that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...