Jump to content
Whatbird Community
MerMaeve

Whatbird's Young Birders!

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I doubt that  @Aveschapines would leave over some silliness arising from accidental hiccups in the forum, but SHE might leave if SHE keeps getting called a he. 😉

Lol, seriously though, that is a small problem with online sites. Ya never know if someone is a guy or a girl, especially in today's age...it is rather confusing. One of my best friends is a guy but I thought he was a she for a while because online...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kevin said:

All right everyone it is time to be serious, NO more ridiculousness! If everybody keeps posting in threes poor Aveschapines will be so busy deleting posts he might leave, and we would loose the greatest moderator ever. Now lets talk about something important! 

Now the difference between Eastern Screech-Owls and Western Screech-Owls...Now that sums it up, the difference between Screech-Owls is that one lives in the west and one lives in the east.

I’m confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kevin said:

All right everyone it is time to be serious, NO more ridiculousness! If everybody keeps posting in threes poor Aveschapines will be so busy deleting posts he might leave, and we would loose the greatest moderator ever. Now lets talk about something important! 

Now the difference between Eastern Screech-Owls and Western Screech-Owls...Now that sums it up, the difference between Screech-Owls is that one lives in the west and one lives in the east.

If thats the case, why don't we have eastern and western Robin? eastern and western Mallard?? 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

If thats the case, why don't we have eastern and western Robin? eastern and western Mallard?? 😂

And where are the Southern Mockingbirds and Southern Cardinals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I doubt that  @Aveschapines would leave over some silliness arising from accidental hiccups in the forum, but SHE might leave if SHE keeps getting called a he. 😉

Am I supposed to know that he's is a she, or she's a he? Oh never mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I’m confused. 

I was being totally ridiculous. I was not being serious about the Screech-Owls, or about@Aveschapines leaving.

Edited by Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kevin said:

Am I supposed to know that he's is a she, or she's a he? Oh never mind!

After me joking about you getting her gender wrong, yeah you're suppose to know :classic_laugh:...before that, well, never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

As was I. 

 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I was being totally ridiculous. I was not being serious about the Screech-Owls, or about@Aveschapines leaving.

I don't think any of us took it as y'all being serious...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

That sounds awfully Adult like for a young birder's forum. Are you sure you're young enough to still act like a kid? Oh wait, that's exactly what we're doing here, isn't it? 😁

I think @Charlie Spencer put on his 'I mean business!' Mommy pants for a moment 😆

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I doubt that  @Aveschapines would leave over some silliness arising from accidental hiccups in the forum, but SHE might leave if SHE keeps getting called a he. 😉

As long as I keep getting called the greatest moderator ever I'm OK with it 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I’m confused. 

If you are facing north, east is on the right and west is on the left 😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin said:

Am I supposed to know that he's is a she, or she's a he? Oh never mind!

YES!! Can't you tell by looking? 

I'm a she, an old lady with long white hair. Sometimes kind of purplish... and I'm six feet tall, so I can see how you got confused LOL! 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

New PFP!!!! NSHR that I found today.

Wonderful! Northern Shrike is still on my wish-list! 

Where do you live? Was this rare or uncommon for your area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Wonderful! Northern Shrike is still on my wish-list! 

Where do you live? Was this rare or uncommon for your area?

I saw the bird in Chesterfield, Missouri. It’s labeled as rare on eBird. I’ll include a picture of the species’ range that I got from Merlin to save you the time of looking it up.

2FE542D7-FE9B-4469-A7AB-5914B54C12F9.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great! Thanks!

I saw from your screenshot that you use Merlin ID App. How do you all like Merlin Bird ID App compared to other Field Guide/Identification apps?

I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Great! Thanks!

I saw from your screenshot that you use Merlin ID App. How do you all like Merlin Bird ID App compared to other Field Guide/Identification apps?

I like it.

I rarely use it, but I do use the Audubon app which I like a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I rarely use it, but I do use the Audubon app which I like a lot.

Why do you prefer the Audubon App over Merlin ID's? Do you have any specific reasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Why do you prefer the Audubon App over Merlin ID's? Do you have any specific reasons?

No, haha.... I simply haven't used the Merlin app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Merlin app, in my opinion, is simply the best free app for out-of-your-region-birds. Here are some reasons why it’s my go-to app:

  • It’s free
  • It has almost all birds in the world in its bird packs. I now can help with majority of IDs in the out of North America subforum and is invaluable for letting me get an idea of the most common birds on personal international trips.
  • It’s comprehensive. It has more than enough photos and sounds for all regional differences.
  • It’s photo ID accuracy has grown exponentially. Although not always correct, this feature is very nice for giving a head start in identification for birds in a complete different region than you’re used to.
  • The range maps represent the entire world and are probably the most accurate you’ll find.

This list was focused more on birds that you’re not comfortable with. If you want to go more in depth with birds that live in your area, Audubon is probably better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, akandula said:

It’s photo ID accuracy has grown exponentially.

I've loaded Merlin on my tablet at least four times, and I've deleted it after a few weeks or months of disuse.  I might get value out of it for photos but I can't figure out an easy way to get photos from my camera to my tablet so the app can access them.

Sometimes I wish Cornell made a version for Windows.  Other times I'm glad they don't, since using an app doesn't seem likely to improve my ID skills.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...