Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!


MerMaeve

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Well, 

Close enough for me.  I wants me summa them thar Texas birds, pardner!

 

Hmmmmm....welp, I'll find some loophole so I can get the Texas birds instead. Just you wait...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

(Eh, most of the ones he ID'ed himself are probably wrong anyway.)

Well I was going, until I saw that!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE ONES I ID'ED MYSELF ARE WRONG!?!?!?!:classic_angry:

And then trying to steal my life list.....

😛

 

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Kevin said:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE ONES I ID'ED MYSELF ARE WRONG!?!?!?!

I said "most ... are probably wrong"

By which I mean there's a good chance you got at least some of them right.  For example, I'm sure you nailed the NOCAs, BLJAs, and GBHEs; maybe even separated the HOSP from the native ones.

Good job, Champ!

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_tongue:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Typical July morning chorus in south KS

Indigo Bunting 

Red-winged Blackbird

American Robin 

Northern Cardinal 

Dickcissel 

Lark Sparrow 

an occasional Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Not bad for a mostly agricultural area with lots of hedgerows.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Typical July morning chorus in south KS

Indigo Bunting 

Red-winged Blackbird

American Robin 

Northern Cardinal 

Dickcissel 

Lark Sparrow 

an occasional Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Not bad for a mostly agricultural area with lots of hedgerows.

Envious of them Dickcissel and Lark Sparrows! Nice bird. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For @Kevin:

HELL IN TEXAS

The devil, we're told, in hell was chained,

And a thousand years he there remained,

And he never complained, nor did he groan,

But determined to start a hell of his own

Where he could torment the souls of men

Without being chained to a prison pen.

 

So he asked the Lord if He had on hand

Anything left when He made the land.

The Lord said, "Yes, I had plenty on hand,

But I left it down on the Rio Grande.

The fact is, old boy, the stuff is so poor,

I don't think you could use it in hell anymore."

 

But the devil went down to look at the truck,

And said if it came as a gift, he was stuck;

For after examining it careful and well

He concluded the place was too dry for hell.

So in order to get it off His hands

God promised the devil to water the lands.

 

For he had some water, or rather some dregs,

A regular cathartic that smelt like bad eggs,

Hence the deal was closed and the deed was given,

And the Lord went back to His place in Heaven.

And the devil said,"I have all that is needed

To make a good hell," and thus he succeeded.

 

He began to put thorns on all the trees,

And he mixed the sand with millions of fleas,

He scattered tarantulas along all the roads,

put thorns on the cacti and horns on the toads;

He lengthened the horns of the Texas steers

And put an addition on jackrabbits' ears.

 

He put little devils in the bronco steed

And poisoned the feet of the centipede, 

The rattlesnake bites you, the scorpion stings,

The mosquito delights you by buzzing his wings.

The sand burrs prevail, so do the ants,

And those that sit down need half soles on their pants.

 

The devil then said that throughout the land

He'd manage to keep up the devil's own brand,

And all would be mavericks unless they bore

The marks of scratches and bites by the score.

The heat in the summer is a hundred and ten, 

Too hot for the devil and too hot for men.

 

The wild boar roams through the black chaparral,

It's a hell of a place he has for a hell;

The red pepper grows by the bank of the brook,

The Mexicans use it in all that they cook.

Just dine with a Greaser and then you will shout,

"I've a hell on the inside as well as without!"

 

-Anonymous

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

For @Kevin:

HELL IN TEXAS

The devil, we're told, in hell was chained,

And a thousand years he there remained,

And he never complained, nor did he groan,

But determined to start a hell of his own

Where he could torment the souls of men

Without being chained to a prison pen.

 

So he asked the Lord if He had on hand

Anything left when He made the land.

The Lord said, "Yes, I had plenty on hand,

But I left it down on the Rio Grande.

The fact is, old boy, the stuff is so poor,

I don't think you could use it in hell anymore."

 

But the devil went down to look at the truck,

And said if it came as a gift, he was stuck;

For after examining it careful and well

He concluded the place was too dry for hell.

So in order to get it off His hands

God promised the devil to water the lands.

 

For he had some water, or rather some dregs,

A regular cathartic that smelt like bad eggs,

Hence the deal was closed and the deed was given,

And the Lord went back to His place in Heaven.

And the devil said,"I have all that is needed

To make a good hell," and thus he succeeded.

 

He began to put thorns on all the trees,

And he mixed the sand with millions of fleas,

He scattered tarantulas along all the roads,

put thorns on the cacti and horns on the toads;

He lengthened the horns of the Texas steers

And put an addition on jackrabbits' ears.

 

He put little devils in the bronco steed

And poisoned the feet of the centipede, 

The rattlesnake bites you, the scorpion stings,

The mosquito delights you by buzzing his wings.

The sand burrs prevail, so do the ants,

And those that sit down need half soles on their pants.

 

The devil then said that throughout the land

He'd manage to keep up the devil's own brand,

And all would be mavericks unless they bore

The marks of scratches and bites by the score.

The heat in the summer is a hundred and ten, 

Too hot for the devil and too hot for men.

 

The wild boar roams through the black chaparral,

It's a hell of a place he has for a hell;

The red pepper grows by the bank of the brook,

The Mexicans use it in all that they cook.

Just dine with a Greaser and then you will shout,

"I've a hell on the inside as well as without!"

 

-Anonymous

It is true it's hot and dry. It's also true that almost everything pricks, pokes, cuts, stabs, bites, stings, burns, impales, gores, gashes, slashes, nicks, rips, slices, carves, and tears you if it can.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

You’re alive! How was your spring?

Better than any other spring! I'm out of school and into the full work swing. I think I have somewhere around 150 species. Possibly in the beginning of August, I may spend a week in the Amazon in Colombia doing some wildlife (especially birds) for a friend of mine who is writing a book about Colombia, since he is teaching school there.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Better than any other spring! I'm out of school and into the full work swing. I think I have somewhere around 150 species. Possibly in the beginning of August, I may spend a week in the Amazon in Colombia doing some wildlife (especially birds) for a friend of mine who is writing a book about Colombia, since he is teaching school there.

I meant 'doing some wildlife PHOTOGRAPHY.'

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Possibly in the beginning of August, I may spend a week in the Amazon in Colombia doing some wildlife (especially birds) for a friend of mine who is writing a book about Colombia, since he is teaching school there.

Wow!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Better than any other spring! I'm out of school and into the full work swing. I think I have somewhere around 150 species. Possibly in the beginning of August, I may spend a week in the Amazon in Colombia doing some wildlife (especially birds) for a friend of mine who is writing a book about Colombia, since he is teaching school there.

That’s gunna be awesome! Good luck!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, Jefferson Shank said:

You guys have too much time on you hands! I'm busy with this kind of stuff. See pics.

photo_2021-06-26_17-58-02 (2).jpg

photo_2021-06-29_17-39-53.jpg

It's a lot of work taking photos of other people working.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...