Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

Happily labor day everyone! And am I about to do some labor, 135 bags of concrete worth, along with forums, diches, holes for posts....

Are we ever going to quite pouring concrete? It seem we have been pouring concrete ever since I have been big enough to be any help. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Happily labor day everyone! And am I about to do some labor, 135 bags of concrete worth, along with forums, diches, holes for posts....

Are we ever going to quite pouring concrete? It seem we have been pouring concrete ever since I have been big enough to be any help. 

Can't say I've ever poured concrete before, but I'm often stuck doing yardwork on the weekends-picking up sticks, weeding around the perimeter of the house, cleaning up our dank and mouse and cricket infested basement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

Its good for you. So says the old guy who built fence by the mile when I was barely as tall as it was (or at least one mile worth):classic_cool:. What are you making?  

• Like 4

On 9/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, SirVive said:

Its good for you. So says the old guy who built fence by the mile when I was barely as tall as it was (or at least one mile worth):classic_cool:. What are you making?  

Oh it is definitely good for me. And we are building a barn.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

About half an acre, so it's not too bad but we have a lot of trees, which creates quite some work especially when big branches fall during spring and fall storms. Then the entire family has to go to work cutting it up and stuffing it into bins.

I enjoy mowing and planting, but I don't really like trimming or moving brush.  When a tree falls...Habitat!  Weeds taking over the gardens?  Habitat! 😆

Oh...why am I on this thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I enjoy mowing and planting, but I don't really like trimming or moving brush.  When a tree falls...Habitat!  Weeds taking over the gardens?  Habitat! 😆

Oh...why am I on this thread?

That's what I try to convince my parents, not working so far. I lament every time they have to trim a bush. We do keep a number of dead trees standing for the birds, though. But sometimes extremely large branches fall, like the one that blocked the driveway once. And now there is a tree that is weakened at the base, and is slowly tilting over at an angle. We're just waiting for it to fall, and when it will, it will probably take the power line with it, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

About half an acre, so it's not too bad but we have a lot of trees, which creates quite some work especially when big branches fall during spring and fall storms. Then the entire family has to go to work cutting it up and stuffing it into bins.

Half an acre, and you think you have yard work? We burn bush piles every year that big.(Well, that might be an exaggeration😉)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

That's what I try to convince my parents, not working so far. I lament every time they have to trim a bush. We do keep a number of dead trees standing for the birds, though. But sometimes extremely large branches fall, like the one that blocked the driveway once. And now there is a tree that is weakened at the base, and is slowly tilting over at an angle. We're just waiting for it to fall, and when it will, it will probably take the power line with it, unfortunately. 

Well, good for you.  Yeah, there will be some that are too dangerous to keep.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

Half an acre, and you think you have yard work? We burn bush piles every year that big.(Well, that might be an exaggeration😉)

Well, I bet you don't have to constantly pull up invasive Garlic Mustard, smartweed, and random-invasive-plant-i-dont-know-the-name-of almost every week. You do probably have more yard work, though.

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

By me a plane ticket and I bring the chainsaw and cut it down for you. After that we can do some birding! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

By me a plane ticket and I bring the chainsaw and cut it down for you. After that we can do some birding! 

That sounds good! Not sure if I have the money for a plane ticket now, though. Also it's a little hard to cut, my father has managed to cut down a number of troublesome trees and he can't figure out this one. We have a chain saw here, no need to bring one. The problem is controlling which way it'll fall...

4 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

That sounds good! Not sure if I have the money for a plane ticket now, though. Also it's a little hard to cut, my father has managed to cut down a number of troublesome trees and he can't figure out this one. We have a chain saw here, no need to bring one. The problem is controlling which way it'll fall...

Maybe try something along the lines of this method 

• Haha 8