Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

3 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Going to AR on Thursday so I want to get a good photo of a Pine Warbler while I’m down there. 🤞

Nice, sounds like it’ll be a fun trip. I almost never see Pine Warblers where I’m at, and they’re typically super high up in their namesake tree haha. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Have you tried suet when they're in season?  Here, I get PIWAs coming to suet all winter.

Man, I wish. I’ve never had any warblers on suet that I can remember, but PIWA are seriously uncommon in my county for some reason. They don’t breed here, and I’ve only observed 4 in the past two years during migration. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Will you be handholding or using a tripod? I’m probably gonna end up handholding for the flexibility, but I know it is a little heavy.

Handholding unless I’m sitting in one place for a long while (like staking out in a blind). It’s a little heavy but definitely manageable. The tradeoff of having 600 mm is WELL worth it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Man, I wish. I’ve never had any warblers on suet that I can remember, but PIWA are seriously uncommon in my county for some reason. They don’t breed here, and I’ve only observed 4 in the past two years during migration. 

I’ve had OCWAs on suet in the winter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Handholding unless I’m sitting in one place for a long while (like staking out in a blind). It’s a little heavy but definitely manageable. The tradeoff of having 600 mm is WELL worth it.

That’s the contemporary version right? That’s the one I’m getting, not the sports version. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

What does it weigh?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Down with a bad cold right now. Hope a good night's sleep helps.

Argg - I had that last week - brought on by lack of sleep, aka the baby waking up every hour all night for 3 or 4 days in a row and not napping well during the day either 😣😪  You youngsters get your sleep while you can - from a guy who didn't take his chance but instead worked 80 hours and still found time for a life, just no sleep.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Is anyone else doing online Drivers Ed, to be able to get their license, when the time comes around? 

I did a class today, it was supposed to take me two hours, it took me 4 minutes. Yes, that is right 4, FOUR minutes. It was two pages, both of which would easily fit on the monitor at once, and you see all the text. Most of the classes have been similar to that though, but not any as bad as this. I know someone must have  passed a law saying you have to have a certain amount on hours to get a drivers license, but seriously? Surely you can come up with enough material to at least be reasonable?