Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

On 3/31/2022 at 9:17 AM, Seanbirds said:

Headin' for mountains and pines today!! Arkansas here I come! Hoping for:

Brown-headed Nuthatch

Red-cockaded Woodpecker

Yellow-throated Vireo and Warbler

Some other stuff that I can't think of right now

I was just searching "Arkansas" to see what came up. I wish I saw this back then but I don't get on here very often... 
I might have had suggestions on where to look, depending on what area of Arkansas you were headed. I know a guy that helped with the restoration of the red-cockaded woodpeckers here in Arkansas. He tells me the best time is in June or July(I'd have to double check) when they're more active feeding their young. I've gone to see them a couple times and one of those times, we were in the right place... you could see their cavities all over... but we didn't find them.

anyway... if you're ever visiting Arkansas again and want any suggestions just let me know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, millipede said:

I was just searching "Arkansas" to see what came up. I wish I saw this back then but I don't get on here very often... 
I might have had suggestions on where to look, depending on what area of Arkansas you were headed. I know a guy that helped with the restoration of the red-cockaded woodpeckers here in Arkansas. He tells me the best time is in June or July(I'd have to double check) when they're more active feeding their young. I've gone to see them a couple times and one of those times, we were in the right place... you could see their cavities all over... but we didn't find them.

anyway... if you're ever visiting Arkansas again and want any suggestions just let me know.

Thanks a lot! However suggesting hotspots would be pretty useless in my situation, unfortunately. Here's why.

Every spring and fall there is a camp-meeting near Mena Arkansas that my family and I attend. We stay there pretty much the entire time. It's got some excellent habitat but I'm restricted to what I can find there. So yeah, no chasing or anything like that.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Lots of migrants passed through last night! The most I'd seen so far this year was about 500,000. 

Wonder how that will affect the birding today!

Screenshot_20220425-072516_Chrome.thumb.jpg.30965a65fc8fb078be4c6b9282385ede.jpg

It’s high here too! Surprisingly no vagrant warblers yet…  

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Sheared a Llama this morning! I think I did a pretty good job, being it's my first time!

20220426_110402.jpg

Did you have trouble shearing the brown-and-white one?  Is that why you shot it?  :classic_ohmy:

I gave the terrier a haircut this weekend.  It takes several shearings before we get enough for a decent sweater.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Did you have trouble shearing the brown-and-white one?  Is that why you shot it?  :classic_ohmy:

Na, I haven't tried to shear that one yet, but a bullet would make it easer, in fact I wouldn't have to do it at all. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SirVive said:

Did you manage to avoid a face full of green goo?

Yes. The cow didn't, she came and stood right in front of her, but could have absolutely cared less about being spit at. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Funny, that's what the terrier did too.

This one does it all the time, several people have though she was dead, she is the only one that does it, all the rest do like the "brown-and-white one".