Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

It's low for tonight and tomorrow night, but high on May 1, which is when I'm going to try to go birding with a group and meet one of the area's best birders!

I'll bite; what's low and high?  It can't be tides; they don't shift that much over a two-night period.  It's not moonlight; it's been low for a few nights approaching New and will be for few more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Peak migration traffic in my county last night was 500 birds. I don't think yours had less than that.

Only about 34,000 total birds passed through last night as a whole..

16 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'll bite; what's low and high?  It can't be tides; they don't shift that much over a two-night period.  It's not moonlight; it's been low for a few nights approaching New and will be for few more.

It's this forum's version of "it'll be raining cats and dogs" 😄

• Like 2

Right now Point Roberts WA (as close as we can get in the lower 48) is showing 10000 birds/km/h, and as far as I can tell every one of them is a Gambel's white-crowned sparrow (not our usual crew). They're absolutely everywhere I've been for the last three days in large numbers.

• Like 2

And I'm missing it all - we've been down all week with the nastiest stomach bug I've had since last time I spent a month in a third world country 😫  I haven't even felt up to sitting by the window and watching the feeders 😕

• Sad 2

On 5/2/2022 at 8:37 PM, SirVive said:

Finally at least made it out to the back yard today to enjoy a couple minutes of sun between showers. Bonus points if you can spot the birds that weren't there  ...

20220502_152843.jpg

Gorgeous tree, what is is?

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Gorgeous tree, what is is?

Some variety of flowering pink dogwood. It's really pretty for several weeks most years and one of the biggest I've ever seen - right out of my office window.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SirVive said:

Some variety of flowering pink dogwood. It's really pretty for several weeks most years and one of the biggest I've ever seen - right out of my office window.

I've never seen one so big! Just an amazing tree

Posted (edited)

At the NASCAR  race in Darlington SC Sunday, it was overcast all day, high of 61F, 20mph winds plus gusts.  More like early March than Mothers' Day.  I don't know what the people in shorts and tshirts were thinking 

Edited by Charlie Spencer

It hit the 80s last week but it seems a cold front came in as its still getting down to the low 40s most mornings with the highs being in the low 60s this week. Shorts and t-shirt weather, but it can be a little chilly biking to school in the early morning.