Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

25 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

I've only been up in that area to chase King Rail and Fork-tailed Flycatcher.  Tawas Point always seems to have good birds, 90 minutes away.  If you are coming all this way though, I'm guessing you would be willing to go a little farther and get Kirtland's Warbler?  Grayling is only 90 minutes away from Saginaw also.  Evening Grosbeaks shoud be on the feeders at the campground.  Let me put a note on the Michigan Discord in the Saginaw Chat.  You could join that also.  They have a Saginaw specific channel for RBA and Chat.  Doesn't look very active, so not sure if others are just using other means or not.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I've only been up in that area to chase King Rail and Fork-tailed Flycatcher.  Tawas Point always seems to have good birds, 90 minutes away.  If you are coming all this way though, I'm guessing you would be willing to go a little farther and get Kirtland's Warbler?  Grayling is only 90 minutes away from Saginaw also.  Evening Grosbeaks shoud be on the feeders at the campground.  Let me put a note on the Michigan Discord in the Saginaw Chat.  You could join that also.  They have a Saginaw specific channel for RBA and Chat.  Doesn't look very active, so not sure if others are just using other means or not.  

Let me add: We'll be more in Bay City, not really Saginaw, but still close by. I'll probably have chances to bird Saginaw Bay some (Lake Huron).

You see, We aren't heading up there for birding. I might be able to squeeze a few stops in, but it's mostly visiting family. So that means going anywhere significantly out of the way is probably not an option.

Thanks for the advice! How do you imagine birding in Michigan would be different from birding in south Kansas? Any tips to know just in general, not related to birding? Is the habitat mainly forest? 

I'm gonna have fun looking at the Merlin barcharts.

Edited by Seanbirds

49 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Let me add: We'll be more in Bay City, not really Saginaw, but still close by. I'll probably have chances to bird Saginaw Bay some (Lake Huron).

You see, We aren't heading up there for birding. I might be able to squeeze a few stops in, but it's mostly visiting family. So that means going anywhere significantly out of the way is probably not an option.

Thanks for the advice! How do you imagine birding in Michigan would be different from birding in south Kansas? Any tips to know just in general, not related to birding? Is the habitat mainly forest? 

I'm gonna have fun looking at the Merlin barcharts.

Hot and probably humid😄.  Likely plenty of mosquitoes.  Where I work we have had people working at our Iowa plant marvel at how many trees we have, and I am in much less wooded area than is up there.  

I know from past RBA reports there always seems to be something showing up cool at the Shiawasee Wildlife Drive, so that would probably be #1 get, unless you really want a Kirtland's.  The Wildlife Drive is the 6th best hotspot in the whole state.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Hot and probably humid😄.  Likely plenty of mosquitoes.  Where I work we have had people working at our Iowa plant marvel at how many trees we have, and I am in much less wooded area than is up there.  

I know from past RBA reports there always seems to be something showing up cool at the Shiawasee Wildlife Drive, so that would probably be #1 get, unless you really want a Kirtland's.  The Wildlife Drive is the 6th best hotspot in the whole state.  

Yup, I'll definitely see if I can make that a priority. Thank you!!

@Seanbirds Heyyy, sorry for not replying to you sooner! I was birding all day yesterday with @Tanager 101, and sleeping and driving this morning (Though not at the same time 😅).

Awesome! July should still be good for passerine breeding birds, though they may not be singing as much, and marsh and early migrant shorebirds.

Bay City Sp. is great for shorbs, gulls, terns, and herons (And just a nice place to go with the family). ALSO, the Bay City and Saginaw areas are pretty much @Tanager 101's backyard. He'd probably have some great recommendations for ya. Maybe we could all try to do some birding together one day, maybe drive to get the Kirtland's Warbler and possible Evening Grosbeak up in Grayling if you have the time for that. @Tanager 101 knows a good spot for them.

If you haven't already, take a look at ebird target sp for the county(s) you're going to be visiting, to get an idea of what's possible.

https://ebird.org/targets?region=Michigan%2C+US&r1=US-MI&bmo=7&emo=7&r2=world&t2=life&mediaType=

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

@Seanbirds Heyyy, sorry for not replying to you sooner! I was birding all day yesterday with @Tanager 101, and sleeping and driving this morning (Though not at the same time 😅).

Awesome! July should still be good for passerine breeding birds, though they may not be singing as much, and marsh and early migrant shorebirds.

Bay City Sp. is great for shorbs, gulls, terns, and herons (And just a nice place to go with the family). ALSO, the Bay City and Saginaw areas are pretty much @Tanager 101's backyard. He'd probably have some great recommendations for ya. Maybe we could all try to do some birding together one day, maybe drive to get the Kirtland's Warbler and possible Evening Grosbeak up in Grayling if you have the time for that. @Tanager 101 knows a good spot for them.

If you haven't already, take a look at ebird target sp for the county(s) you're going to be visiting, to get an idea of what's possible.

https://ebird.org/targets?region=Michigan%2C+US&r1=US-MI&bmo=7&emo=7&r2=world&t2=life&mediaType=

Cool!! Looks like I'll wanna hit the NWR (already forgot the name 😅) and Bay City sp.

It would be AWESOME to go birding with you guys!!! Do you think you could meet me at one of those locations? We'll see how schedules go and if not, that's fine but I REALLY want to.

I'm afraid I couldn't go the extra mile to chase those birds unfortunately. It would've been fun though!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Yep as stated July is still good time for many birds in the Saginaw/Bay City area. I can tell you a lot of things about the local hotspots and what birds you will find there for those two counties. Are there any species you are specifically looking for? Note any species you really want to see and I can possibly find you a great spot in the two counties for them. Shiawassee has nesting Prothonotary Warblers (Don't know if you have those or not and don't really feel like looking now) and plenty of birds. The Wildlife Drive is amazing! the summer everything was shut down for covid I travelled it all the time. Lot of birds would be easy to get on there. The drive has ducks and there has been solitary sandpipers and both greater and lesser yellowlegs that stayed to whole summer (Maybe breeders?) Indigo Buntigns are easy and you usually don't miss them.

Again I'm not exactly sure which species you don't get in Kansas but there is a huge variety. Bay City State Park is another great spot. The shorebird often (but not every time) as super easy to get good photos of. As @Birding Boystated we birded together last night and at Bay City State Park multiple times some of the 80+ Dunlin got with 200mm camera lens range (meaning with 200mm you could have a full frame shot.) In July it is likely that there will be 3 shorebird species (unless you are coming closer to the end of July then maybe more) Sanderling, Least Sandpiper, and Semipalmated Sandpiper. a walk around the small pond can give you multiple other species. Here are 2 checklist from July this past summer to give you an idea of what I have seen. Note basically all these species were seen from the beach. i got hooked on photography so I skipped the walk around the lake. A full trip there would be this + more. https://ebird.org/checklist/S92158375 https://ebird.org/checklist/S93403179 another great this is the birding a lot of times is better in the evening, this lighting for photos of shorebirds is really good about anytime after 3pm. From there it is a 2 minute drive to Tobico Marsh (there is an ebird spot for this) they have a marsh and Woodlands. You can find woodpeckers, maybe a redstart or two, Scarlet tanager (Guessing from habitat, never been to tobico in july.) My personal favorite spot possibly ever is the Joseph M. Soehnel Trail. It is near Bay City State Park. It is underbirded but I have been there multiple times. I have not actually been there in July, but it is a super spot in migration. I got 80ish species in 3 hours there on Sunday. I haven't made the checklist though yet. https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1660920?yr=all&m=&sortBy=spp here is the hotspot. This is one of the better spots to go to when you want a big checklist decently easy. It has a lot of different kinds of habitat which gives good variety. You can get flycatchers like willow and maybe Least, Alder, or acadian. The vireos are really good there even in summer and you could find warbling, Red-eyed, or Yellow-throated vireos. You can get rails like virginia and sora. There is also a possibility of ducks. Moorhen and coot is a possibility. BTW this is more of my personal experience rather then the illistrated checklists on ebird. Black-crowned night Heron is like guarenteed along with Green heron being vey likely. that is just some of the birds at that location. there are many more. 

25 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Cool!! Looks like I'll wanna hit the NWR (already forgot the name 😅) and Bay City sp.

It would be AWESOME to go birding with you guys!!! Do you think you could meet me at one of those locations? We'll see how schedules go and if not, that's fine but I REALLY want to.

I'm afraid I couldn't go the extra mile to chase those birds unfortunately. It would've been fun though!

Those are both great spots just giving you a third option. Again if you tell me some of your targets I can possibly find a basically unknown spot to find that bird in. I can meet you if I can someone to drive me. (Providing we aren't busy) 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

Yep as stated July is still good time for many birds in the Saginaw/Bay City area. I can tell you a lot of things about the local hotspots and what birds you will find there for those two counties. Are there any species you are specifically looking for? Note any species you really want to see and I can possibly find you a great spot in the two counties for them. Shiawassee has nesting Prothonotary Warblers (Don't know if you have those or not and don't really feel like looking now) and plenty of birds. The Wildlife Drive is amazing! the summer everything was shut down for covid I travelled it all the time. Lot of birds would be easy to get on there. The drive has ducks and there has been solitary sandpipers and both greater and lesser yellowlegs that stayed to whole summer (Maybe breeders?) Indigo Buntigns are easy and you usually don't miss them.

Again I'm not exactly sure which species you don't get in Kansas but there is a huge variety. Bay City State Park is another great spot. The shorebird often (but not every time) as super easy to get good photos of. As @Birding Boystated we birded together last night and at Bay City State Park multiple times some of the 80+ Dunlin got with 200mm camera lens range (meaning with 200mm you could have a full frame shot.) In July it is likely that there will be 3 shorebird species (unless you are coming closer to the end of July then maybe more) Sanderling, Least Sandpiper, and Semipalmated Sandpiper. a walk around the small pond can give you multiple other species. Here are 2 checklist from July this past summer to give you an idea of what I have seen. Note basically all these species were seen from the beach. i got hooked on photography so I skipped the walk around the lake. A full trip there would be this + more. https://ebird.org/checklist/S92158375 https://ebird.org/checklist/S93403179 another great this is the birding a lot of times is better in the evening, this lighting for photos of shorebirds is really good about anytime after 3pm. From there it is a 2 minute drive to Tobico Marsh (there is an ebird spot for this) they have a marsh and Woodlands. You can find woodpeckers, maybe a redstart or two, Scarlet tanager (Guessing from habitat, never been to tobico in july.) My personal favorite spot possibly ever is the Joseph M. Soehnel Trail. It is near Bay City State Park. It is underbirded but I have been there multiple times. I have not actually been there in July, but it is a super spot in migration. I got 80ish species in 3 hours there on Sunday. I haven't made the checklist though yet. https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1660920?yr=all&m=&sortBy=spp here is the hotspot. This is one of the better spots to go to when you want a big checklist decently easy. It has a lot of different kinds of habitat which gives good variety. You can get flycatchers like willow and maybe Least, Alder, or acadian. The vireos are really good there even in summer and you could find warbling, Red-eyed, or Yellow-throated vireos. You can get rails like virginia and sora. There is also a possibility of ducks. Moorhen and coot is a possibility. BTW this is more of my personal experience rather then the illistrated checklists on ebird. Black-crowned night Heron is like guarenteed along with Green heron being vey likely. that is just some of the birds at that location. there are many more. 

Those are both great spots just giving you a third option. Again if you tell me some of your targets I can possibly find a basically unknown spot to find that bird in. I can meet you if I can someone to drive me. (Providing we aren't busy) 

Awesome!! You pretty much covered everything! I really hope I can go birding with you and maybe @Birding Boy!!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

I'll come up with a target list as soon as I can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Hey!  Vermont is...kinda okay...for breeding warblers 'n' things...heh... :classic_unsure:

I'll visit Vermont if it make you feel better 😉. I love Warblers! How many can I get at one location?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Hey!  Vermont is...kinda okay...for breeding warblers 'n' things...heh... :classic_unsure:

I'll be in Vermont this summer! Visiting family out in Boston and going to be checking out a few colleges, including one out in Vermont and will probably have at least half a day to bird.

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Well...uhh...I don't like fresh seafood!

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Woohoo! That's more like it.

Seafood is over priced, over rated, and just not that good. I love fish, particularly grilled, but seafood is just out.

• Like 2