Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I'll be in Vermont this summer! Visiting family out in Boston and going to be checking out a few colleges, including one out in Vermont and will probably have at least half a day to bird.

You might be disappointed coming from California and Boston! 😆  I'm assuming the college is in northern Vermont?  We're down to one university in my area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

I'll visit Vermont if it make you feel better 😉. I love Warblers! How many can I get at one location?

Well, our most warbler-y day was around 16 species...that, of course, is rare and included migrating warblers.  The usual is probably more like 6.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Well, our most warbler-y day was around 16 species...that, of course, is rare and included migrating warblers.  The usual is probably more like 6.

Okay well I'll still come anyways.😉 It'll be fun

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, Seanbirds said:

I'll come up with a target list as soon as I can.

@Birding Boy @Tanager 101

(I understand some of these will be very difficult, if not impossible)

American Black Duck

Ruffed Grouse 

Black-billed Cuckoo

Eastern Whip-poor-will (Even a heard-only would be awesome)

Always up for a Virginia Rail

Common Gallinule would be neat but it's not a big priority

American Woodcock

Herring Gull- I'd like some good photos but no big deal if that doesn't happen

BLACK TERN

Common Loon- hearing one call and/or seeing one in breeding plumage would be INCREDIBLE

Least Bitttern?!

Green Herons are always fun but not a big need or anything

Osprey!! Can't get enough of them

Broad-winged Hawk- ditto Osprey

Long/Short-eared Owls? Probably toughies.

EASTERN SCREECH-OWL!!! How common are they up there?

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- ditto HEGU

Alder Flycatcher

Marsh Wren- ditto HEGU and YBSA

Veery

Wood Thrush!

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Waterthrushes! Is Louie a possibility?

Golden-winged Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler!

Mourning Warbler

Cerulean Warbler?

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Canada Warbler

Eastern Towhee- wouldn't be a lifer or anything but still-

Grasshopper Sparrow

Henslow's Sparrow- I understand they're tricky

Scarlet Tanager!

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Bobolink?

Sorry I just realized how long this list was LOL 😂

Do y'all want me to narrow it down to just potential lifers?

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Like 3

On 5/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Hey!  Vermont is...kinda okay...for breeding warblers 'n' things...heh... :classic_unsure:

don’t forget about the 4 or 5 boreal species up in the middle of nowhere!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

@Birding Boy @Tanager 101

(I understand some of these will be very difficult, if not impossible)

American Black Duck

Ruffed Grouse 

Black-billed Cuckoo

Eastern Whip-poor-will (Even a heard-only would be awesome)

Always up for a Virginia Rail

Common Gallinule would be neat but it's not a big priority

American Woodcock

Herring Gull- I'd like some good photos but no big deal if that doesn't happen

BLACK TERN

Common Loon- hearing one call and/or seeing one in breeding plumage would be INCREDIBLE

Least Bitttern?!

Green Herons are always fun but not a big need or anything

Osprey!! Can't get enough of them

Broad-winged Hawk- ditto Osprey

Long/Short-eared Owls? Probably toughies.

EASTERN SCREECH-OWL!!! How common are they up there?

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- ditto HEGU

Alder Flycatcher

Marsh Wren- ditto HEGU and YBSA

Veery

Wood Thrush!

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Waterthrushes! Is Louie a possibility?

Golden-winged Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler!

Mourning Warbler

Cerulean Warbler?

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Canada Warbler

Eastern Towhee- wouldn't be a lifer or anything but still-

Grasshopper Sparrow

Henslow's Sparrow- I understand they're tricky

Scarlet Tanager!

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Bobolink?

Sorry I just realized how long this list was LOL 😂

Do y'all want me to narrow it down to just potential lifers?

Some good targets there! @Tanager 101 would probably have a better answer to these, but he might be busy so I guess my reply will have to do until then 😂 Some of these are going to be impossible as you mentioned, a couple difficult, and some pretty easy.

AM Black Duck - usually one or two stick through the summer at Shiawassee or along the coast.

Ruffed Grouse - yeah...there's only one spot I know of about a half hour from Bay City, and no consistent reports throughout the summer months. Might be pretty tough.

Woodcock. They're there! Just not calling as much, so you'd pretty much have to flush one.

Cuckoos. They breed in the area, especially around Shiawassee, but again, they're secretive, so you've got to get lucky.

Whip-poor Will. Really very uncommon in the area. I don't know if you'd be able to go, but they're regularly reported calling at Tuttle Marsh further north in Iosco County.

Herring Gulls should be ez at Bay City Sp. Lots of good photo ops there!

Black Terns - should be a few hanging around Shiawassee.

Common Loon - sadly a bit too far south for breeding birds. Further north you might get lucky, but I'm not sure of an exact location.

Least Bitter - they're there, but as with all bitterns, luck will be required! Might be easier to at least hear one if a night trip can be planned.

We ain't birders if we can't get you an Osprey, Green Heron, Virginia Rail, or Gallinule 😉 Should be pretty easy.

Short/Long Eared Owls are gone in the summer months, sadly.

Eastern Screech-Owls are there, but not calling much. You'll have to get lucky.

Wood Thrush and Veery should be possible with some searching, but most likely will be heard rather than seen.

Marsh Wren and YBSA and pains to photograph, however they will both be easy to find, and with some luck ya might be able to get some decent shots.

Alder Flycatcher - pretty uncommon, but might get lucky and find a singing one.

Prothonotary Warbler - should have a pretty good shot at these on one trail at Shiawassee!

Sadly, the remainder of your warblers are all either too far north or south, or only migrate through in spring and summer.  Golden-winged and Chestnut Sided are very infrequently reported, but we might be able to find one with some diligent searching. I wouldn't count on it though.

Broad-winged Hawk. I could be wrong, but these are going to be hard to get. Only place they've been reported (And still infrequently) in the summer is further west in Midland county.

Henslow's Sparrows are pretty rare, with no consistent reports. Grasshopper might be more abundant relatively speaking, but hard to find.

Purple Finches unfortunately are more of a fall-winter-spring bird in that area.

Oh yeah, Ovenbird. A bit more frequently reported than the other warbs, but still going to be pretty tough. Might get lucky at the Chippewa Nature Center or Shiawassee, though.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak-should be pretty easy to find a singing bird or something. Scarlet Tanager is going to be a little trickier.

Bobolink - should be able to get 'em at Shiawassee.

Eastern Towhee - a pain to find in the summer, especially in a kind of underbirded area such as Saginaw/Bay counties. @Tanager 101 might have some local expertise, though.

Whew, hope that helps a bit! Let me know if there's anything else. Hopefully @Tanager 101 has some good tips too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

Some good targets there! @Tanager 101 would probably have a better answer to these, but he might be busy so I guess my reply will have to do until then 😂 Some of these are going to be impossible as you mentioned, a couple difficult, and some pretty easy.

AM Black Duck - usually one or two stick through the summer at Shiawassee or along the coast.

Ruffed Grouse - yeah...there's only one spot I know of about a half hour from Bay City, and no consistent reports throughout the summer months. Might be pretty tough.

Woodcock. They're there! Just not calling as much, so you'd pretty much have to flush one.

Cuckoos. They breed in the area, especially around Shiawassee, but again, they're secretive, so you've got to get lucky.

Whip-poor Will. Really very uncommon in the area. I don't know if you'd be able to go, but they're regularly reported calling at Tuttle Marsh further north in Iosco County.

Herring Gulls should be ez at Bay City Sp. Lots of good photo ops there!

Black Terns - should be a few hanging around Shiawassee.

Common Loon - sadly a bit too far south for breeding birds. Further north you might get lucky, but I'm not sure of an exact location.

Least Bitter - they're there, but as with all bitterns, luck will be required! Might be easier to at least hear one if a night trip can be planned.

We ain't birders if we can't get you an Osprey, Green Heron, Virginia Rail, or Gallinule 😉 Should be pretty easy.

Short/Long Eared Owls are gone in the summer months, sadly.

Eastern Screech-Owls are there, but not calling much. You'll have to get lucky.

Wood Thrush and Veery should be possible with some searching, but most likely will be heard rather than seen.

Marsh Wren and YBSA and pains to photograph, however they will both be easy to find, and with some luck ya might be able to get some decent shots.

Alder Flycatcher - pretty uncommon, but might get lucky and find a singing one.

Prothonotary Warbler - should have a pretty good shot at these on one trail at Shiawassee!

Sadly, the remainder of your warblers are all either too far north or south, or only migrate through in spring and summer.  Golden-winged and Chestnut Sided are very infrequently reported, but we might be able to find one with some diligent searching. I wouldn't count on it though.

Broad-winged Hawk. I could be wrong, but these are going to be hard to get. Only place they've been reported (And still infrequently) in the summer is further west in Midland county.

Henslow's Sparrows are pretty rare, with no consistent reports. Grasshopper might be more abundant relatively speaking, but hard to find.

Purple Finches unfortunately are more of a fall-winter-spring bird in that area.

Oh yeah, Ovenbird. A bit more frequently reported than the other warbs, but still going to be pretty tough. Might get lucky at the Chippewa Nature Center or Shiawassee, though.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak-should be pretty easy to find a singing bird or something. Scarlet Tanager is going to be a little trickier.

Bobolink - should be able to get 'em at Shiawassee.

Eastern Towhee - a pain to find in the summer, especially in a kind of underbirded area such as Saginaw/Bay counties. @Tanager 101 might have some local expertise, though.

Whew, hope that helps a bit! Let me know if there's anything else. Hopefully @Tanager 101 has some good tips too.

Thanks man!! This really kinda helps me know what to expect.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

Doritos are great for seafood nachos.

That sounds positively disgusting... But as long as you let me put mustard on my scrambled eggs, and ketchup on my nachos, I don't guess I care.

• Like 2

Just now, Kevin said:

That sounds positively disgusting... But as long as you let me put mustard on my scrambled eggs, and ketchup on my nachos, I don't guess I care.

Oh yes, and for all the northern living people on here, black-eyed peas are very good👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Those, and I’ll let you put ketchup on your hot dog and pineapple on your pizza. 

I draw the line at mashed potato tacos. 

Edited by Charlie Spencer

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Just tested positive for covid...

Good luck. My wife has had covid for a few days - just general unwell and cough. I felt lousy one evening and slept good and have felt fine ever since. This morning my 4 year old puked 4 times and was obviously not feeling A+ and took a nap most of the morning. Then about noon the fever was up to 103 and then suddenly spiked and turned into a full blown seizure, blue lips, rolled eyes and all😬 By the time the ambulance arrived it had passed and the fever was down some but she took awhile to come to - didn't even know mommy, etc and heart rate was still at 160. She doesn't remember anything about it at all but was up and hungry again tonight so pray that the worst is over.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SirVive said:

Good luck. My wife has had covid for a few days - just general unwell and cough. I felt lousy one evening and slept good and have felt fine ever since. This morning my 4 year old puked 4 times and was obviously not feeling A+ and took a nap most of the morning. Then about noon the fever was up to 103 and then suddenly spiked and turned into a full blown seizure, blue lips, rolled eyes and all😬 By the time the ambulance arrived it had passed and the fever was down some but she took awhile to come to - didn't even know mommy, etc and heart rate was still at 160. She doesn't remember anything about it at all but was up and hungry again tonight so pray that the worst is over.

Thanks, luckily my fever isn't too bad (only around 102) so I should be fine. That sounds like a really scary experience you had, hopefully your family is starting to feel better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Thanks, luckily my fever isn't too bad (only around 102) so I should be fine. That sounds like a really scary experience you had, hopefully your family is starting to feel better.

This is the time where you have to hope a rare vagrant eastern warbler shows up in your yard! 

Edited by IKLland
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, SirVive said:

I'm not up on all the symptoms, especially in kids, but that doesn't sound like COVID.

11 hours ago, SirVive said:

Holy crap, this is terrifying. Good luck and I hope you all feel better soon.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm not up on all the symptoms, especially in kids, but that doesn't sound like COVID.

For all I know she's got more than one thing at once. There's plenty going around. All up eating this morning so that's good.

Edited by SirVive
  • Like 4