Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

33 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Gosh, I still need one of those for my life list!

Hey, a future lifer! 

How much fun would it be if you saw everything before you turned 20?

You'll get 'em, don't worry bro. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Gosh, I still need one of those for my life list!

You're not alone, I still need Black Swift as well. They are far from easy, especially in the Central Valley. I've missed them both on the breeding grounds and from within Sacramento by minutes. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:59 PM, Birding Boy said:

Some good targets there! @Tanager 101 would probably have a better answer to these, but he might be busy so I guess my reply will have to do until then 😂 Some of these are going to be impossible as you mentioned, a couple difficult, and some pretty easy.

AM Black Duck - usually one or two stick through the summer at Shiawassee or along the coast.

Ruffed Grouse - yeah...there's only one spot I know of about a half hour from Bay City, and no consistent reports throughout the summer months. Might be pretty tough.

Woodcock. They're there! Just not calling as much, so you'd pretty much have to flush one.

Cuckoos. They breed in the area, especially around Shiawassee, but again, they're secretive, so you've got to get lucky.

Whip-poor Will. Really very uncommon in the area. I don't know if you'd be able to go, but they're regularly reported calling at Tuttle Marsh further north in Iosco County.

Herring Gulls should be ez at Bay City Sp. Lots of good photo ops there!

Black Terns - should be a few hanging around Shiawassee.

Common Loon - sadly a bit too far south for breeding birds. Further north you might get lucky, but I'm not sure of an exact location.

Least Bitter - they're there, but as with all bitterns, luck will be required! Might be easier to at least hear one if a night trip can be planned.

We ain't birders if we can't get you an Osprey, Green Heron, Virginia Rail, or Gallinule 😉 Should be pretty easy.

Short/Long Eared Owls are gone in the summer months, sadly.

Eastern Screech-Owls are there, but not calling much. You'll have to get lucky.

Wood Thrush and Veery should be possible with some searching, but most likely will be heard rather than seen.

Marsh Wren and YBSA and pains to photograph, however they will both be easy to find, and with some luck ya might be able to get some decent shots.

Alder Flycatcher - pretty uncommon, but might get lucky and find a singing one.

Prothonotary Warbler - should have a pretty good shot at these on one trail at Shiawassee!

Sadly, the remainder of your warblers are all either too far north or south, or only migrate through in spring and summer.  Golden-winged and Chestnut Sided are very infrequently reported, but we might be able to find one with some diligent searching. I wouldn't count on it though.

Broad-winged Hawk. I could be wrong, but these are going to be hard to get. Only place they've been reported (And still infrequently) in the summer is further west in Midland county.

Henslow's Sparrows are pretty rare, with no consistent reports. Grasshopper might be more abundant relatively speaking, but hard to find.

Purple Finches unfortunately are more of a fall-winter-spring bird in that area.

Oh yeah, Ovenbird. A bit more frequently reported than the other warbs, but still going to be pretty tough. Might get lucky at the Chippewa Nature Center or Shiawassee, though.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak-should be pretty easy to find a singing bird or something. Scarlet Tanager is going to be a little trickier.

Bobolink - should be able to get 'em at Shiawassee.

Eastern Towhee - a pain to find in the summer, especially in a kind of underbirded area such as Saginaw/Bay counties. @Tanager 101 might have some local expertise, though.

Whew, hope that helps a bit! Let me know if there's anything else. Hopefully @Tanager 101 has some good tips too.

Yeah this list did a great job! I can add more to it when I have the time to type a super long message.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, SirVive said:

What field of study / work? 

I got a BSc in biological sciences, so the somewhat goal is to probably be a biologist or a whoever in a biology related field, as long as I get to work with/around plants, animals, ecosystems, etc. Just need to spend a few years doing field work, as I have zero experience. ebird doesn’t count apparently 😂

• Like 5

On 5/19/2022 at 4:43 PM, Seanbirds said:

@Birding Boy @Tanager 101

(I understand some of these will be very difficult, if not impossible)

American Black Duck

Ruffed Grouse 

Black-billed Cuckoo

Eastern Whip-poor-will (Even a heard-only would be awesome)

Always up for a Virginia Rail

Common Gallinule would be neat but it's not a big priority

American Woodcock

Herring Gull- I'd like some good photos but no big deal if that doesn't happen

BLACK TERN

Common Loon- hearing one call and/or seeing one in breeding plumage would be INCREDIBLE

Least Bitttern?!

Green Herons are always fun but not a big need or anything

Osprey!! Can't get enough of them

Broad-winged Hawk- ditto Osprey

Long/Short-eared Owls? Probably toughies.

EASTERN SCREECH-OWL!!! How common are they up there?

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- ditto HEGU

Alder Flycatcher

Marsh Wren- ditto HEGU and YBSA

Veery

Wood Thrush!

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Waterthrushes! Is Louie a possibility?

Golden-winged Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler!

Mourning Warbler

Cerulean Warbler?

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Canada Warbler

Eastern Towhee- wouldn't be a lifer or anything but still-

Grasshopper Sparrow

Henslow's Sparrow- I understand they're tricky

Scarlet Tanager!

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Bobolink?

Sorry I just realized how long this list was LOL 😂

Do y'all want me to narrow it down to just potential lifers?

Hey I know this is late but could you tell me the top ones you want to see here? I can maybe find like an unknown spot for some of them.

• Like 1

American Black Duck- can get that at Shiawassee

Black-billed Cuckoo- ditto

Black Tern- Shiawassee

Marsh Wren- Shiawassee

Prothonotary Warbler- Shiawassee

Either Thrush?

Ovenbird?

Scarlet Tanager?

Rose-breasted Grobeak?

So basically I want some good forest habitat that hosts some less-than-common breeding songbirds, I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did the stupidest thing, I ran across a Black-crowned Night-Heron photo hat had been summited as a Green Heron, so I naturally flagged it, but for some reason I typed Yellow-crowned... I wish there was a short edit time.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

I just did the stupidest thing, I ran across a Black-crowned Night-Heron photo hat had been summited as a Green Heron, so I naturally flagged it, but for some reason I typed Yellow-crowned... I wish there was a short edit time.

Can you flag it a second time and point out your error?

11 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Can you flag it a second time and point out your error?

Nope. Once a record has been flagged, a reviewer will see it flagged and then must make a call as to the validity of the record. If you try and reflag a record that has already been flagged, it will say "this record is already under evaluation by our local volunteer reviewers."

It's not really a big deal. People flag incorrect photos all the time and then call them something else (other than the original ID, but not necessarily the correct ID). Happens most with gulls, tbh. If you are super worried about it, you could always email your reviewer directly and let them know of your mistake.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DLecy said:

Nope. Once a record has been flagged, a reviewer will see it flagged and then must make a call as to the validity of the record. If you try and reflag a record that has already been flagged, it will say "this record is already under evaluation by our local volunteer reviewers."

It's not really a big deal. People flag incorrect photos all the time and then call them something else (other than the original ID, but not necessarily the correct ID). Happens most with gulls, tbh. If you are super worried about it, you could always email your reviewer directly and let them know of your mistake.

The photo was from Maricopa AZ, I don't know any reviewers from there, and little lone which one it would have gone to. 

• Like 1

Introducing the newest  (youngest) young birder - this morning my daughter who is still a couple weeks short of her 2nd birthday piped up while we were sitting on the couch and correctly identified a CASJ by sound only 😯   I know I enjoy birds but who's kid are you?  Last week we were walking under a nest full of hungry crows and she started talking crow back to them - and pretty convincingly too. 😂

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Here's a nice project from a group of very young birders: a local kindergarten class. Make sure to stay for the species pictures. My favourite is probably the OCWA, with the SOSP giving it a good run for it's money. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18zsG6-KZzx_G2y_fw_s3n8zbiRC03yrG/view

This is super rad! Thanks for sharing. I like the Mallards!

• Like 2