Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

52 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I hopefully be will attending my first pelagic trip next month! It will be out of a local harbor. It’s an 8 hour trip, with lots of other SoCal birders. Anyone have any tips for someone who’s never been on one before? Tagging people that I know have done then. @Connor Cochrane @DLecy @Aidan B @neilpa 

Ugh, so jealous.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I have a feeling I was supposed to answer someone, about something, and I was on a phone and didn't do it at the time, but now I can't remember what or where it was....???

Found it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I have a feeling I was supposed to answer someone, about something, and I was on a phone and didn't do it at the time, but now I can't remember what or where it was....???

Can't blame it on getting old, can you??? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Thanks. Also, any tips on what birds I might see? The trip will be out of South Orange County in late September. Thanks! 

I think a good place to start would be to check the bar charts in your county for that timeline.

On pelagics, nearly anything can show up, but I would think you have a good shot at all three jaeger species, phalaropes, murrelets, shearwaters, albatross, gulls, and terns. Not sure if you are in the zone for Red-billed Tropicbird or not. I would expect storm-petrel numbers to be fairly low that time of year, but I am not entirely familiar with the pelagic seasons south of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

I think a good place to start would be to check the bar charts in your county for that timeline.

On pelagics, nearly anything can show up, but I would think you have a good shot at all three jaeger species, phalaropes, murrelets, shearwaters, albatross, gulls, and terns. Not sure if you are in the zone for Red-billed Tropicbird or not. I would expect storm-petrel numbers to be fairly low that time of year, but I am not entirely familiar with the pelagic seasons south of me.

How are my chances of getting a rare petrel?(specifically Murphy’s, Cook’s, Hawaiian) I’ll check out the bar charts as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IKLland said:

How are my chances of getting a rare petrel?(specifically Murphy’s, Cook’s, Hawaiian) I’ll check out the bar charts as well. 

It really depends on the winds and how far offshore you can get. 8 hours is tight. Who is leading the trip and what organization are you going with?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DLecy said:

It really depends on the winds and how far offshore you can get. 8 hours is tight. Who is leading the trip and what organization are you going with?

My local Audubon chapter. Most of the info is here. 

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, I'm on lichess as well and I love their free puzzles, since chess.com severely limits their features unless you have membership.

"I'd rather have my blood sucked out by lichess (lichess)..."

"Weird Al" Yankovic, "One More Minute"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, DLecy said:

30 minutes ago, IKLland said:

My local Audubon chapter. Most of the info is here. 

Didn't realize the info didnt get embedded. 

Trip leaders: John Dunn, Tom Benson, Bruce Aird.

I believe we will be heading out to the fourteen mile bank, whatever that means. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Didn't realize the info didnt get embedded. 

Trip leaders: John Dunn, Tom Benson, Bruce Aird.

I believe we will be heading out to the fourteen mile bank, whatever that means. 

No worries. I think your local chapter is Sea and Sage Audubon?? Your trip leaders are fantastic! Should be a great trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1