Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

1 hour ago, BirdNrd said:

Pretty good. The checklists haven't been shared but once they are I'll post

For the checklist sharing, I know somebody shares the lists with everyone. So you just told them that you username was “long eared owl”, and that’s it, right?

3 minutes ago, IKLland said:

For the checklist sharing, I know somebody shares the lists with everyone. So you just told them that you username was “long eared owl”, and that’s it, right?

Or is it the other username that’s not shown to the public? 

I’ve been trying to do a pelagic for a couple years now… the local charter cancelled all of 2020 and 2021 due to covid and haven’t been able to get back on their feet since then. The only pelagic happening near me this year is on a Thursday during my first week of college 😞

• Sad 4

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a rant, but I just have to say...

Last year, Sep 26, I saw a Philadelphia Vireo at a spot in my county that's good for migrants. I'd only joined eBird a few months before. However, my regional reviewer did not confirm it, despite my adding a detailed description as although they were not flagged as rare, they are uncommon migrants in the region and I didn't have a photo. This year, Sep 21, an eBirder who submits frequently submits checklists in my county reported a Philly from the same spot. He also did not have a photo, and only added a one line description. A few days later, my regional reviewer confirmed the sighting, evidenced by my county's illustrated checklist "last seen", whereas my sighting has remained unconfirmed. 

So, does reputation make a difference in whether or not a regional reviewer confirms an uncommon sighting? I don't feel bitter about this, but I am curious.

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a rant, but I just have to say...

Last year, Sep 26, I saw a Philadelphia Vireo at a spot in my county that's good for migrants. I'd only joined eBird a few months before. However, my regional reviewer did not confirm it, despite my adding a detailed description as although they were not flagged as rare, they are uncommon migrants in the region and I didn't have a photo. This year, Sep 21, an eBirder who submits frequently submits checklists in my county reported a Philly from the same spot. He also did not have a photo, and only added a one line description. A few days later, my regional reviewer confirmed the sighting, evidenced by my county's illustrated checklist "last seen", whereas my sighting has remained unconfirmed. 

So, does reputation make a difference in whether or not a regional reviewer confirms an uncommon sighting? I don't feel bitter about this, but I am curious.

I won't get into the argument of whether it should or not but I have to say if I were a reviewer I think it would - especially if it is someone I know personally through the birding community and I trust their judgment and are careful to not jump to posting without good reason. Even if you don't know someone personally you can get a good feel over time if someone's unusual sightings usually turn out to be correct.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I’m many counties, including mine, I believe it does make a difference often. 

• Like 2