Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

Just now, IKLland said:

Why?

Winter birding is pretty much a waste of time here, with normal checklist species counts dropping to 5-10, unless I see some of those elusive winter finches. That is unlikely, though, as I would have to do some traveling to get to a place with sufficient habitat, and my mobility right now is pretty limited.

10 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I highly doubt that I will get another lifer this year. 

Why not?  I tripped over two last month in ten minutes, in a location barely fifteen minutes from home.  I was birding as usual and not specifically targeting any species.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Winter birding is pretty much a waste of time here, with normal checklist species counts dropping to 5-10, unless I see some of those elusive winter finches. That is unlikely, though, as I would have to do some traveling to get to a place with sufficient habitat, and my mobility right now is pretty limited.

https://finchnetwork.org/winter-finch-forecast-2022-2023

I’m doing a big day on Saturday with my friend! I believe it’s both of our’s first big days! We’re not too focused on beating any kind of record in our first one. The record is 186, which we provably have a much better chance of beating in the spring.

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

I’m doing a big day on Saturday with my friend! I believe it’s both of our’s first big days! We’re not too focused on beating any kind of record in our first one. The record is 186, which we provably have a much better chance of beating in the spring.

How did you find out the record?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

There isn't even a big day record for my county that I know of. Not that I'd be able to even do a big day.

There's technically nothing different about doing a Big Day than any other checklist.  eBird doesn't know the difference.  If you bird your backyard for half an hour on Saturday, call that your big day, enter it, and put on your crown!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

There's technically nothing different about doing a Big Day than any other checklist.  eBird doesn't know the difference.  If you bird your backyard for half an hour on Saturday, call that your big day, enter it, and put on your crown!

There is a difference between the eBird “big day” and an actual big day.  The eBird big day isn’t meant for people to go out and try to see as many species as they can and break records. It’s just a day where they want everyone to submit a little bit more than usual. 

A real big day is when you go out looking for as many species as possible, and usually with some intent to break the record. This can be done on any given day. A real big day is something that IS different than any other single checklist.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Somebody help me solve this mystery that I can’t reach the bottom of. 

Are the Southern California Egyptian Geese countable? 

According to eBird, they are considered Exotic: Provisional. 

https://ebird.org/news/important-changes-to-exotic-species-in-ebird

"Provisional—Either: 1) member of exotic population that is breeding in the wild, self-propagating, and has persisted for multiple years, but not yet Naturalized; 2) rarity of uncertain provenance, with natural vagrancy or captive provenance both considered plausible. When applicable, eBird generally defers to bird records committees for records formally considered to be of “uncertain provenance”. Provisional species count in official eBird totals."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

According to eBird, they are considered Exotic: Provisional. 

https://ebird.org/news/important-changes-to-exotic-species-in-ebird

"Provisional—Either: 1) member of exotic population that is breeding in the wild, self-propagating, and has persisted for multiple years, but not yet Naturalized; 2) rarity of uncertain provenance, with natural vagrancy or captive provenance both considered plausible. When applicable, eBird generally defers to bird records committees for records formally considered to be of “uncertain provenance”. Provisional species count in official eBird totals."

I meant ABA countable. 

1 hour ago, PalmWarbler said:

Of course I had to leave all the camera batteries at home before leaving to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in NY for eBird big day. ?

Just go back and get them! ?

Just kidding, that sucks. Hope you find something cool though!

• Like 1