Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

MerMaeve

54 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Here's my massive contribution to the big day from my school county. The OCWA was a nice surprise. 

eBird Checklist - 8 Oct 2022 - Michigan Technological University campus - 11 species (+1 other taxa)

Oh yeah, and it put me at number 1 for the big day in my county ??

You put more effort out than me, all I did was an incidental, and I didn't even realize it was the big day deal.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S120352191

• Confused 1

On 10/6/2022 at 2:17 PM, IKLland said:

There is a difference between the eBird “big day” and an actual big day.  The eBird big day isn’t meant for people to go out and try to see as many species as they can and break records. It’s just a day where they want everyone to submit a little bit more than usual. 

A real big day is when you go out looking for as many species as possible, and usually with some intent to break the record. This can be done on any given day. A real big day is something that IS different than any other single checklist.

A belated acknowledgment that I didn't distinguish between the different uses of the phrase.  I should have made it clear I was referring to the Oct. 8th event, not the personal attempt.  Thanks for the clarification!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:56 PM, SirVive said:

Saw a grand total of 7 sp on Saturday but plenty of other cool things. Lots of animal sign, beautiful scenery, and watched my 4 year old spontaneously imitate an American Dipper doing his 'squats' ?

20221007_111952.jpg

20221007_125622.jpg

Are you comfortable sharing where this is? Looks gorgeous!

22 hours ago, Kevin said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Seanbirds

21 hours ago, IKLland said:

Happy birthday @Seanbirds!!!!!! 

24 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I'm late to the party, but happy birthday @Seanbirds! Hope you had a great day and did some birding man.

Thank you SO MUCH guys!! I had a blast.

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

I take it back, you haven't been on since Friday! Left us for that domestic bird forum. Shameful. ?

Hope you had a good day yesterday! 

Haha. I was gone for the weekend so I wasn't there either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

How’d you do?

Oops, thanks for the reminder, forgot to update this! Well...let's just say that I didn't have the necessary local knowledge to get to my destination; I didn't realize I'd have to drive over 3 miles on what was pretty much a glorified hiking path, filled with rocks, holes, an overflowing swamp or two...I turned around before I got stuck in a very remote place with no cell service. I may try hiking in next time if I'm more prepared. 

Ended up birding the nearby Copper Harbor. Not too much to say here, found a very late Indigo Bunting, broke the state's previous American Goldfinch high-count (I had over 18 hundred migrants in the span of 1 1/2 hours), and found my first redpolls of the year.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Oops, thanks for the reminder, forgot to update this! Well...let's just say that I didn't have the necessary local knowledge to get to my destination; I didn't realize I'd have to drive over 3 miles on what was pretty much a glorified hiking path, filled with rocks, holes, an overflowing swamp or two...I turned around before I got stuck in a very remote place with no cell service. I may try hiking in next time if I'm more prepared. 

Ended up birding the nearby Copper Harbor. Not too much to say here, found a very late Indigo Bunting, broke the state's previous American Goldfinch high-count (I had over 18 hundred migrants in the span of 1 1/2 hours), and found my first redpolls of the year.

Redpolls? Dang. I wish I could get some Redpolls.

Well, I MIGHT be going to Montana in late December soooo...

• Like 1