Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks! I appreciate the offer.

I did notice that these photos are of a Red-winged Blackbird- perhaps you added them under the wrong species?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/435485081 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/435485091

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to this article, the bird was captured at the request of state and federal authorities.  There's buckshot in the wing, although the article doesn't say if it's a recent injury. 

I'm not sure why rehab and relocation is an issue.  I am sure that online petitions are ineffective methods of bringing about change.

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/11/28/rare-tundra-goose-captured-in-la-is-now-rehabbing-at-huntington-beach-wildlife-center/

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

According to this article, the bird was captured at the request of state and federal authorities.  There's buckshot in the wing, although the article doesn't say if it's a recent injury. 

I'm not sure why rehab and relocation is an issue.  I am sure that online petitions are ineffective methods of bringing about change.

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/11/28/rare-tundra-goose-captured-in-la-is-now-rehabbing-at-huntington-beach-wildlife-center/

The main problem is that the goose was shot way before it arrived at the park, probably before it was even first discovered over 6 months ago. The bird is fully healed and is fully capable of flight. There is no reason to capture and “rehabilitate” the bird when there are Canada Geese at that same park in far far worse condition. The capture and transport of the bird causes far more stress than eating a bit of bread with the park geese ever did to that bird. 

• Like 2

This bird was apparently shot before it arrived here. The bird had a droopy wing from the start of it being here. It stayed in Lancaster for a few months, with a dropped wing. The bird then arrived in a city park 60 miles south over a mountain range-and apparently flew there on its own choice-with the wing “issue”. It has been doing completely fine in this park, lots of food, duck and geese friends, and it IS ABLE TO FLY. There’s even a video of it flying perfectly fine. There is no obvious need for rehab, and the fact that they may transfer it to Louisiana is ridiculous IMO. It’s unnecessary and unfortunate that they feel the need to “rescue” a goose that is doing just fine. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SirVive said:

What's the story?

So while birding a hotspot called Sem Lane, I noticed something moving in the vegetation by the creek. At first I thought it was a mouse or squirrel or maybe even a rail. Looking in I saw a dark grey mass that i thought might've been a piece of plastic but then I saw a bright yellow foot and soon, the yellow bill of a falcon. Because of it's size I thought it was a Merlin at this point. I then shouted for the two other members of the CBC party, George and Alex. Once I showed the bird to them me and Alex started clearing the brush the bird was stuck in and it soon became clear that it was a Peregrine instead of a Merlin. We were able to clear a path out of the bush but it became clear that something was wrong with one of the birds legs. We tried lifting it out with a stick but the falcon only dragged itself further into the bush and eventually into the water. At that point Alex went in to the water and asked for another stick, George found two random 2 by 4s and Alex was able to grab the Falcon chopstick style. I then called an animal shelter/ animal control while George went to grab his car. While this was happening the falcon was resting on a bare patch of earth and it was apparent that one or both of it's legs were broken/ injured as It could not stand properly. Soon George arrived with his car and we wrapped it in some jackets and took it to the Animal Shelter.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Back when I was a YOUNG birder ... 🙂  Busy packing up my office since we got an offer accepted on a new place but contingent on getting our's listed within 14 days 😫  Finding all sorts of memories though.

20240116_172517.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Did it get built?

Of course! But not sure I have any pictures of it - probably my folks do. I made quite a few different styles through the years. We used to get rejects by the truck load from a place that milled the lumber for guitars and and violins, mostly clear Sitka spruce and some Cedar. The bulk of it we cut and sold for kindling at local gas stations, grocery stores, etc and every once in a while we'd get some real nice 1/4 - 1/2" thick boards about 12x24 that we'd keep for projects. 

Edited by SirVive
Addition
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kevin said:

20240205_173228.jpg

Did you process the 'natural casing' yourself from said llama or buy it? I've made my own from hogs once and decided buying it and filling it with my own sausage was a lot less work for essentially the same outcome.

7 hours ago, SirVive said:

Did you process the 'natural casing' yourself from said llama or buy it? I've made my own from hogs once and decided buying it and filling it with my own sausage was a lot less work for essentially the same outcome.

No, it's store bought. I do want to get my own rennet from next calf I do though! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Our goats just kidded last night, and tonight we went to check on them, and one of the mothers died, so now we are bottle feeding three day old kids.

PXL_20240213_003422374.MP.jpg

So sorry for your loss.  That's a lot of work!  Are your goats pets?

2 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

No, not really. We milk a few of them every year, but they are mainly for meat purposes. The milk is kinda gross, but the meat is really good. Its like a leaner version of beef.

Ah, okay, that's cool.  I had pet Nubians.  I agree, goat milk is yucky, especially if you keep a buck around! 🤢  Never had goat meat though!  I have a sheep now and am definitely a sheep person...

• Like 1