Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Young Birders!

7 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

No, not really. We milk a few of them every year, but they are mainly for meat purposes. The milk is kinda gross, but the meat is really good. Its like a leaner version of beef.

My grandfather loved goat.  I've tried it a couple of times but it seems the only places that serve it are hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints.  Those are usually pretty good anyway, goat or not.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

No, not really. We milk a few of them every year, but they are mainly for meat purposes. The milk is kinda gross, but the meat is really good. Its like a leaner version of beef.

10 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Ah, okay, that's cool.  I had pet Nubians.  I agree, goat milk is yucky, especially if you keep a buck around! 🤢  Never had goat meat though!  I have a sheep now and am definitely a sheep person...

I've never had it personally, what is yucky a out it?

I've been vegetarian for almost 20 years, but prior to that one of my favourite meaty things was a Jamaican goat curry. Absolutely fantastic. But goats are so gosh darn cute I couldn't imagine eating one any more. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kevin said:

I've never had it personally, what is yucky a out it?

To me (and to a lot of other people) it tastes like a goat buck smells.  And a buck has a unique musky smell, similar to a dirty barn, because they urinate on themselves. 🤢  Some people like the taste though. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

To me (and to a lot of other people) it tastes like a goat buck smells.  And a buck has a unique musky smell, similar to a dirty barn, because they urinate on themselves. 🤢  Some people like the taste though. 🤷‍♀️

@Kevin this ^^ is exactly how the smell

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Ah, okay, that's cool.  I had pet Nubians.  I agree, goat milk is yucky, especially if you keep a buck around! 🤢  Never had goat meat though!  I have a sheep now and am definitely a sheep person...

Yeah, we want to do sheep, but have too many animals for that. We have nubians for our milk, and they are super personable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Made my day yesterday to see a group of 'punk high-school fellas" walking down the sidewalk with one of them carrying a newly built bird house. Nit sure if they got it at the hardware store next door or built it themselves but either way   ...

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

Happy Pi day! Anybody tried to memorize more than 3.14?

I had it memorized to quite a few decimal places when I was taking high school math. All but the 3.14 were forgotten long, long ago.

On 3/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, kansabirdguy said:

Haven't been on here in a long time. Is @Seanbirds still here?

On 3/12/2024 at 5:03 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Yeah, he comes on occasionally.  He's been busy with school.

Hi guys! Been forever and a year.

I'm on spring break right now, so tag me if y'all wanna see me. I'll be even more available this summer.

• Like 4

I have a hard time getting Pi to stick. Now pecan pie, that's another story! I can really wrap my head around that one and it sticks everywhere whether I want it to or not.  I'll even take the 3.14 second challenge to make that diameter dissappear. 

• Haha 3

I haven't committed yet (I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 more difficult schools) but in all likelihood I should be going to Notre Dame for c0llege next year. Moving to the midwest is going to be a big change...

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, kansabirdguy said:

Yeah, whatever it was seems to be fixed. It said that they were down for maintenance.

Every couple of months I get a maintenance message like that when it takes forever to load.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kansabirdguy said:

is eBird working for y'all? I'm running into some trouble but it may just be me.

I had the same blip just slightly earlier, not just you

• Like 1

Is there a place that would be appropriate to share an eBird checklist that is not mine that I believe has a misidentified bird? I do have the option to report it available to me but would like a few more opinions as I don't really know 🙂