Whatbird Community

Today, I saw a new one in the backyard at a feeder in Austin, TX.  It is a grosbeak I think.  I assume Rose-breasted because there is a tiny red spot on the side, but there are similar looking birds.  Picture attached.  What do you think?

untitled-6906.jpg

untitled-6895.jpg

I tried to eBird this as a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, and it says Unconfirmed.  I don't know if the pictures are enough to distinguish between Black-headed Grosbeak and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  Any more thoughts?  Many thanks!

After some googling, I read that Rose-breasted Grosbeak is supposed to have coarse streaks and the Black-headed is supposed to have fine streaks.  The streaks looked coarse to me.  But the black-headed usually has a gray bill and rose-breasted is supposed to have a pink bill.  The bill on this one seemed gray.

Are you certain it's the same bird? I definitely see red on the first two photos, but not the last two. If I saw either of these I'd say Rose-Breasted Grosbeak but we don't have Black-Headed here so it's easy. I agree those streaks look fine rather than coarse to me, and the bill is dark. 

In any case your photos should be fine for ID so feel free to send them to eBird to get a confirmation.

16 hours ago, Avery said:

I see no trace of red on the breast, so I think we can say it is a female by this time. But, I’m no expert on molt cycles...

I see the red quite clearly too. Which would make me think immature male Rose-Breasted. But I have no experience with Black-Headed!

18 hours ago, MCTX said:

black-headed usually has a gray bill

It has a bicolored bill, black maxilla, gray mandible. The wing pattern strongly suggests that it is an adult, which throws a weird monkey wrench into the ID. Perhaps it's a hybrid, with the mix of pink below and a more Black-headed-like bill. More pix would be useful.

• Like 1

I assume this is all the same bird.  It came to the feeder for 3 days and left with the last cold front.  Here is another photo.  Also, I was able to get a few seconds video of the bird flying away, and it had lots of red under the wings looking frame by frame.  So I think that confirms everyone's initial feedback that it was rose-breasted.

DSCN0970.JPG

• Like 1