Whatbird Community

Unusual Bird

Just seen a very unusual bird in my garden in n Cardiff, South Wales UK. 
First thought it was a male chaffinch. But it’s a bit bigger with a long tail. Most distinguishing feature was a very bright green area on its lower back! 
Obviously not a native UK bird. 
it’s been very windy so perhaps blown of course. Can’t find anything like it in my Collins UK and European bird book?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for your reply Conner. The one in our garden had the same colour green on it’s back but a bit lower down. The head was brown with a wide stripe on the back of head and a paler ring around the neck. The chest was buff. Oh and the beak was very pale?

3 minutes ago, Colin said:

Thanks for your reply Conner. The one in our garden had the same colour green on it’s back but a bit lower down. The head was brown with a wide stripe on the back of head and a paler ring around the neck. The chest was buff. Oh and the beak was very pale?

These birds can vary a lot, as some are hybrids with normal chaffinches, and some are just birds with weird colors that look like them. These are not my images, but you can see how they vary.

image.png.ca6a9edd3e2cd07a5f68610405cfab70.pngimage.thumb.png.31f7ae32c0c6c13066c64c1b6243ecc3.pngimage.thumb.png.d56d46963561d8ffc7fb5fb53ab4c3fb.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Oh no picture..

Just checkout the Finches native to Wales. Green Finches, Gold Finches,all common. If weather was really cold, normally with snow..  then the less common Birds visit, i.e Bullfinches.

But as Connor said, Chaffinch is a good bet.

57 minutes ago, Darrenp said:

Oh no picture..

Just checkout the Finches native to Wales. Green Finches, Gold Finches,all common. If weather was really cold, normally with snow..  then the less common Birds visit, i.e Bullfinches.

But as Connor said, Chaffinch is a good bet.

Welcome to WhatBird! As you an see this thread is over a year and a half old, so I don't think the original poster will be coming back with more information at this point.

• Like 1