Whatbird Community

Really Old Turkey

Avery

I have absolutely no idea how this turkey has survived this long. We seem to have a year round resident flock of turkeys, that roam the nearby woods and fields, and roost in the winter behind my house. This is at least the fourth year in a row that I have seen this turkey, identified by the fact that he is a tom with his bad leg on the right side. He has one bad leg, so he balls up his foot and walks/hobbles around really using only one leg. This year, it seems that he has had offspring, as he has been traveling with some young ones and a few females. We get to watch the males display in our neighbors driveway every year, and this guy has always been in the background. He is a survivor though, as we had a den of foxes in the neighborhood this year, (with adorable kits), as well as a bear, and undoubtedly coyotes. I do realize that it is possible that there may have been several turkeys with the same bad leg every year, but I like to think that it is the same one.  

P1100717.thumb.JPG.b37dc9aa5419e0147ef28d20c5df143d.JPG

P1100660.thumb.JPG.b1eee367f7651e765e8f704cac4bb49f.JPG

And some of his curious youngsters...P1100687.thumb.JPG.0c0271081b68ef6073193b1ae95bc9e3.JPG

P1100730.thumb.JPG.78b7d32ca8cf796eb94bdfd96532b7b7.JPG

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I’ve done some shallow research on turkey sexing and aging, and since we know this isn’t a juvenile bird, I think it could possibly be a female bird with chest hairs. There isn’t a spur on the good leg, and the breast feathers are edged in buff, not black. Also, it has feathers on the head. Am I wrong in this? I’m really curious to know what sex Gimpy is! The Tom’s in our flock are becoming very obvious, and Gimpy is not. Old age, or wrong sex?

On 3/3/2021 at 4:29 PM, Avery said:

I’ve done some shallow research on turkey sexing and aging, and since we know this isn’t a juvenile bird, I think it could possibly be a female bird with chest hairs. There isn’t a spur on the good leg, and the breast feathers are edged in buff, not black. Also, it has feathers on the head. Am I wrong in this? I’m really curious to know what sex Gimpy is! The Tom’s in our flock are becoming very obvious, and Gimpy is not. Old age, or wrong sex?

@Tony Leukering, @DLecy, @Hasan, @The Bird Nuts, or anybody else who might know about turkey gender, care to give your thought on the sex of this bird? I’m quite curious. Thanks!

Your WITU is a female. WITU breast feathers edged in buff/russet and lacking a spur indicate a female. I believe a small percentage of females show the “beard” filaments on the breast as well.

I’m assuming your bird is an adult, but I don’t know enough about the Complex Basic Strategy of molt exhibited by WITUs to truly comment on it’s age.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Your WITU is a female. WITU breast feathers edged in buff/russet and lacking a spur indicate a female. I believe a small percentage of females show the “beard” filaments on the breast as well.

I’m assuming your bird is an adult, but I don’t know enough about the Complex Basic Strategy of molt exhibited by WITUs to truly comment on it’s age.

Awesome, glad my research was correct. Yeah, I know it’s not a juvie since I’ve seen this bird for years. Thanks!

• Like 1