Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Any ideas? Thanks!


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It's an Empid.  Hopefully someone with some western flycatcher experience can tell you which one it is.

lol! It sure is...but which one is the million dollar question. The more I try to figure it out the more confused I become...sooo maybe someone will be able to save my sanity or what's left of it! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lonesome55dove said:

lol! It sure is...but which one is the million dollar question. The more I try to figure it out the more confused I become...sooo maybe someone will be able to save my sanity or what's left of it! ?

Oh, sorry about that, I thought you needed help narrowing it down since you didn't say what you thought it was in the post. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, akiley said:

The long bill and overall coloring (although tough to tell for sure) suggest Gray Flycatcher to me. Not sure if that's a likely/possible bird for your precise location or not.

Thank you for your input...Gray Flycatcher would actually be a possibility in my area. Unfortunately, the photo is not the best so I realize it will be tough for a positive ID. ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Administrator said:

iBird Photo Sleuth thinks its most likely an Alder Flycatcher (43%), Least Flycatcher (30%) or Gray Flycatcher (12%).

Does this help? Using the iBird range map its most likely a Gray Flycatcher since the others are not often found in Washington state.

 

IMG_1125.jpeg

Interesting. However, it's not either Alder or Least, even if they were in range. They are both ruled out by multiple features on this bird. 

Edited by akiley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, Least is in range (at least in part). There are both recent and past records in a couple spots in Klickitat County. "Field guide" type range maps are indeed helpful, but eBird range maps give a more specific and often more accurate representation of a species' range. 

However, this bird is definitely not a Least Flycatcher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Administrator said:

iBird Photo Sleuth thinks its most likely an Alder Flycatcher (43%), Least Flycatcher (30%) or Gray Flycatcher (12%).

Does this help? Using the iBird range map its most likely a Gray Flycatcher since the others are not often found in Washington state.

 

IMG_1125.jpeg

Yes it does, thank you. I agree it is most likely a Gray Flycatcher as the other two are out of range for WA. At the time I tagged the above photo I thought it was probably the best of the ones I'd taken but I went back to the folder and found two more shots that might help. Thanks again. ?

 

P8173839...P8173841...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, akiley said:

Actually, Least is in range (at least in part). There are both recent and past records in a couple spots in Klickitat County. "Field guide" type range maps are indeed helpful, but eBird range maps give a more specific and often more accurate representation of a species' range. 

However, this bird is definitely not a Least Flycatcher. 

Thank you for your help...I appreciate your input.  I added two more photos that might be helpful. ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lonesome55dove said:

Thank you for your help...I appreciate your input.  I added two more photos that might be helpful. ?

Of course, thanks!:classic_smile: It's a tough call but I still think Gray is your best option now seeing those other two photos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, akiley said:

Of course, thanks!:classic_smile: It's a tough call but I still think Gray is your best option now seeing those other two photos. 

Thanks for taking another look at this bird...I believe it is a Gray too now that I've looked at the other photos more closely.  Danged flycatchers anyway!! ?

Edited by lonesome55dove
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, psweet said:

The fact that the app included Alder and not Willow (which can't be reliably distinguished in photos, and would be in range) doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that app.

Agreed. And the fact that it didn't even come up with Dusky or Hammond's the first time,  which are really the birds to rule out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Administrator said:

OK those photos were enough better quality that the first one gave a better recognition percentage from iBird Photo Sleuth.

We need to allow the user to enter the location of the photo as that would help it get the right guess faster.

gray_flycatcher_1.jpeg

gray_flycatcher_2.jpeg

Oh, cool! Thank you...that's funny because I thought the first photo looked the best ...glad I posted the others. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...