Whatbird Community

Bird Drawing Contest!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Man, I'm struggling over here.  I've spent hours on TWO Cedar Waxwing drawings and I didn't like either of them! 😣

Sorry! I haven't started struggling yet but I'm planning to. Haha. Maybe you should change the medium. How about airbrush?

• Like 1

Just now, HamRHead said:

Sorry! I haven't started struggling yet but I'm planning to. Haha. Maybe you should change the medium. How about airbrush?

I don't have an airbrush...I'm sure I'd make a huge mess with one of those! :classic_laugh:  But, yes, changing the medium is good advice.  I think I'll switch to my favorite and most forgiving medium -- acrylic paint.  I was trying to stay away from it to explore new styles and techniques and to save time...but I've already wasted so much time trying to fix my disastrous drawing...

• Like 1

EXCELLENT paintings, @The Bird Nuts and @HamRHead. There's been a lot of great art in this thread, but those two cedar waxwing paintings are my favourite pieces of work so far. I don't offer verbal praise very often, but these two paintings deserve more than just a click of the like button.  My compliments to you both on such fine artwork.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Hasan said:

@The Bird Nuts PHENOMENAL painting! If that's acrylic and not oil that's doubly impressive. What's your process like? Do you use a limited palette? (Primary colors + B/W or the Zorn palette are my favorite). 

Thank you so much!  Yes, it's done in acrylics.  I don't use a limited palette; I would think acrylics would dry too fast for that and I don't think I'd have the patience to be constantly mixing complex colors.  I wrote an article about my painting process on my website here https://www.gscartwork.com/p/how-i-paint.html so I don't have to explain every time someone asks. :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Thank you so much!  Yes, it's done in acrylics.  I don't use a limited palette; I would think acrylics would dry too fast for that and I don't think I'd have the patience to be constantly mixing complex colors.  I wrote an article about my painting process on my website here https://www.gscartwork.com/p/how-i-paint.html so I don't have to explain every time someone asks. :)

Thanks for posting! I didn't remember that you had a website but I will enjoy taking a look!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...