Whatbird Community

Swamp Sparrow?  Cool.  I'll have to look them up cuz this guy wasn't anywhere near a swamp...lol  I figured Field and Song, but Sparrows are my new yellow Warblers--they all look the same to me.  I know they are all distinctly different, but my brain just can't seem to work it out.  Thanks for the help.  Swamp Sparrow is a lifer.  Got a Golden-crowned Kinglet today too, another lifer.  All in all, not a bad day. 🙂

59 minutes ago, Jodi Nielson said:

Swamp Sparrow?  Cool.  I'll have to look them up cuz this guy wasn't anywhere near a swamp...lol  I figured Field and Song, but Sparrows are my new yellow Warblers--they all look the same to me.  I know they are all distinctly different, but my brain just can't seem to work it out.  Thanks for the help.  Swamp Sparrow is a lifer.  Got a Golden-crowned Kinglet today too, another lifer.  All in all, not a bad day. 🙂

Swamps are everywhere this time of year. Walk through a brushy field and you'll probably kick up 20-30.

4 minutes ago, Jodi Nielson said:

@Charlie SpencerAnd Kinglets...50 pictures of butts, leaves and empty branches to get 1 sorta okay shot of the actual bird!  lol

Kinglets are easy!  I was able to get within six feet of this one.  Just dump six inches of snow in a subtropical climate, and you can't get the little buggers off the suet with a crowbar.  :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.png.7f175d639bf3dce3b83d0deb2080fdf0.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jodi Nielson said:

wasn't anywhere near a swamp

This sparrow's name is due to language problems. Whether ecologists borrowed two words that were in use for wetlands to name two very different sorts of wetlands or whether lazy English users don't understand the difference between "swamp" and "marsh," I do not know. Melospiza georgiana OUGHT to be called "Marsh Sparrow," as it breeds primarily in marshes. Swamps are wetlands dominated by woody plants, while marshes are wetlands dominated by non-woody plants, such as cattails, a favored breeding haunt of Swamp Sparrows. Outside of breeding season, Swamp Sparrows occur in a wide variety of low-stature habitats.

• Like 6