Whatbird Community

Really Close Pictures of Birds

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I love that Wood Duck! I get lots of Wood Ducks here, but I never see the breeding males. I either see females or eclipse males, for whatever reason the males keep avoiding me.

That is sad. I have seen 7 males in our creek at one time.

Edited by kansabirdguy
misspelled word
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

That's so cool! I certainly have no lack of Wood Ducks, but the breeding ones probably fly away as fast as possible when they hear me coming.

This is a funny species I have encounter both the very fearful/shy and others that were very use to people and could careless if you got within just a few feet of them. You could try using ebird and seeing if you have any small city parks where they get reported and maybe more use to people in your area.

Edited by Clip
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Clip said:

This is a funny species I have encounter both the very fearful/shy and others that were very use to people and could careless if you got within just a few feet of them. You could try using ebird and seeing if you have in small city parks where they get reported and maybe more use to people.

Good points. I think the males are already in eclipse, though, as I've seen a few eclipse males lately.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Good points. I think the males are already in eclipse, though, as I've seen a few eclipse males lately.

I can't say I have ever seen one in eclipse plumage. Here is a photo from a small pond in a neighborhood pond in Littleton Colorado taken Mid October. So they must not stay in eclipse plumage for long.

094.JPG

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Clip said:

This is a funny species I have encounter both the very fearful/shy and others that were very use to people and could careless if you got within just a few feet of them. You could try using ebird and seeing if you have any small city parks where they get reported and maybe more use to people in your area.

Yeah, in a wild habitat I found one at a creek and it flew off screaming like its life was in danger, and then I got within three feet of one at the Sedgwick County Zoo and it didn’t even seem to notice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Clip said:

Same here, if I see them in local parks or the like they are pretty approachable but come across them in a woodland pond & you only see them flying away.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Just to clarify, it was in every way a wild bird, It just liked swimming in the koi pond and stealing flamingo food. 😉

Zoos can be good birding spots. The captive birds you don't count but any wild birds do. The Denver Zoo use to be good for several species. Here in Florida the same. In St. Augustine for example there is a place called the Alligator Farm (very zoo like) where you can get up close to wild Roseate Spoonbills, White Ibis and other birds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clip said:

Zoos can be good birding spots. The captive birds you don't count but any wild birds do. The Denver Zoo use to be good for several species. Here in Florida the same. In St. Augustine for example there is a place called the Alligator Farm (very zoo like) where you can get up close to wild Roseate Spoonbills, White Ibis and other birds.

Cool! Yeah, the zoo was where I got my lifer American Coot (couple years ago). Also has other good stuff like the aforementioned Woodies, Breeding Black-crowned Night-Heron, Green Heron and more.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...