Whatbird Community

I’m thinking Least- greenish/olive coloring on the back, nice eyering, and short primaries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akiley said:

I’m thinking Least- greenish/olive coloring on the back, nice eyering, and short primaries.

Thanks, akiley. My first thought was Acadian, but then I started to have doubts. Least would be rare (and a lifer) so a second would be appreciated.

I found it in some bushes beside a gravel road. It was hunting from various perches about 3 feet from the ground. I would describe it's flight as shorter and much less vigorous than an Eastern Phoebe. I did not hear it call.

14 hours ago, akiley said:

That's funny, I don't see any of that.  It looks pretty gray, the eyering looks rather weak, and the primaries look like a medium length to me.  My impression was Traill's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

That's funny, I don't see any of that.  It looks pretty gray, the eyering looks rather weak, and the primaries look like a medium length to me.  My impression was Traill's.

At second glance I think I can see Traill's here. I still think the overall coloring looks fine for Least, but I agree what you're saying about the eyering and primary projection. The bill doesn't look that small either.

Assuming it is a Traill's, it's more likely an Alder in my opinion: overall coloring, eyering, bright white wingbars, overall structure and flat-headed look would work better for Alder than Willow. But we obviously can't make that call without an excellent array of photos or a recording.

• Like 1

Traill's is a distinct possibility. I've had four at Phinizy (two Traill's, Alder, and Willow, the latter two identified by call) with an Alder at almost that exact location (Sam has pics on eBird) and a Traill's type nearby the previous year (pics also on eBird).

1 minute ago, Liam said:

Traill's is a distinct possibility. I've had four at Phinizy (two Traill's, Alder, and Willow, the latter two identified by call) with an Alder at almost that exact location (Sam has pics on eBird) and a Traill's type nearby the previous year (pics also on eBird).

Thanks, Liam. Maybe if it sticks around we can locate it again.

The Alder's I had found a couple years ago did stick around a couple days and was seen by a handful of birders.

I'd go look after work tomorrow, but my attention is on hurricane birds! I want a Jaeger! :classic_tongue:

50 minutes ago, Liam said:

The Alder's I had found a couple years ago did stick around a couple days and was seen by a handful of birders.

I'd go look after work tomorrow, but my attention is on hurricane birds! I want a Jaeger! :classic_tongue:

:classic_laugh: Understood! Throw in a gannet and I might join you!

1 hour ago, TooFly said:

Just sayin....

Thanks, TooFly, that's interesting. I hope to look for the bird again. It would be a lifer so I'd like to hear it. Better photos would be nice, too.

• Like 1