Whatbird Community

few from today

seen today in central nc

1. am. goldfinch

2. this guy was acting like a flycatcher... but when i first saw it i thought it looked like a cape may (due to the yellow on its face). cape may is pushing to be out of season and unfortunately this was the only shot i could get. its got some light brownish/rufus streaking on its sides... and is that an orange beak or a lighting thing?

3. blue-headed vireo

4 & 5. [heavily cropped] should i be seeing anything other than osprey at an osprey nest... even out of season?

thanks!

IMG_2727 (2).JPG

IMG_2729 (2).JPG

IMG_2707 (2).JPG

IMG_2701 (2).JPG

IMG_2697 (2).JPG

Your guesses seem like they aren't matched up with the order of your photos so I'm going off of the order of your photos:

1. I think it's a Common Yellowthroat because of the pink bill and legs along with the unpatterned yellow throat/underparts.

2. American Goldfinch

3. Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Relatively long thin bill separates from vireos.

4-5. Vulture sp. I have no experience with Black Vultures but I think the bird in the nest is a Black Vulture because it looks like it doesn't have feathers on its neck.

Edited by Colton V
added explanations
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Colton V said:

Your guesses seem like they aren't matched up with the order of your photos so I'm going off of the order of your photos:

1. I think it's a Common Yellowthroat

2. American Goldfinch

3. Ruby-crowned Kinglet

4-5. Vulture sp. I have no experience with Black Vultures but I think the bird in the nest is a Black Vulture because it looks like it doesn't have feathers on its neck.

youre right... the pic posted in a different order than i uploaded them.... hm. must be new with the site update?

my first guess was black vulture, we have them in abundance around here. i jsut didnt know if thats something i should expect from them... to be in an osprey nest.

1 minute ago, insanityslave said:

youre right... the pic posted in a different order than i uploaded them.... hm. must be new with the site update?

my first guess was black vulture, we have them in abundance around here. i jsut didnt know if thats something i should expect from them... to be in an osprey nest.

I'm not experienced enough to know why the vulture is in an osprey nest. Maybe it's looking for leftovers?

55 minutes ago, Colton V said:

1. I think it's a Common Yellowthroat because of the pink bill and legs along with the unpatterned yellow throat/underparts.

if it were a yellowthroat shouldnt the yellow start to wash out as it reaches the coverts? and given how brightly yellow the yellow is, id expect it to be a male and the head had no black on it. the face was mostly yellow. also it has some light streaking on the flanks which i dont think a COYE has?  ive seen several yellowthroats this summer and they usually hang out near the ground.. or at least like below 10ft... typically... this guy was waay up in the trees and definitely not acting like the coye's ive seen.

The warbler is way to yellow to be a yellowthroat. With the pink legs, yellow UTC, eye-ring, and undertail, as well as yellow everywhere else, I believe it is a yellow warbler. That is also supported by the brownish/rufous side streaking as mentioned by the OP.

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Avery said:

The warbler is way to yellow to be a yellowthroat. With the pink legs, yellow UTC, eye-ring, and undertail, as well as yellow everywhere else, I believe it is a yellow warbler. That is also supported by the brownish/rufous side streaking as mentioned by the OP.

The undertail doesn’t match the Warbler Guide. Is this because of lighting? Also I thought it might be too late in the year to be a Yellow Warbler, but I don’t know much about migration. 

i was thinking yellow warbler as well for a while... i discarded it as unlikely due to: it was hawking (or at the very least not flitting around the branches as yewa are want to do); its getting out of season for them; ebird doesnt even have them showing as id'd at this location before... which is a little odd, but has gotta say SOMEthing, right?; and lastly it definitely seemed too big to be a yewa (but perception in the field is often skewed... i know). 

all that said... i dont have a good guess... hence why i posted the pic 🙂 im just playing devil's advocate so maybe we can figure something out 😄 

16 hours ago, Colton V said:

COYE generally have extensively non-yellow bellies. My first thought was Yellow Warbler, but the bird seems not to have tail spots (which would also rule out a lot of other options). With the narrow tail of some length, I began considering Orchard Oriole, but then looked at the photo, again, and the additional photo provided later. The bird does have yellow tail spots, icing the ID as YEWA.

16 hours ago, Colton V said:

3. Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Relatively long thin bill separates from vireos.

As does the apparently incomplete eye ring.

The last is a Black Vulture.

• Thanks 1