Whatbird Community

sparrow, Toronto, today

2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Why don't you know? It's not streaky, so is not a juvenile and does not have a black-and-white head pattern, so is not an adult. Immature is all that remains.

I get juvenile and immature mixed up as concepts.

Edited by Melierax
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Immature is any bird that is not a full adult (juveniles included), and a juvenile is a bird in its first calendar year, @Melierax.

Yeah, that's not correct. Juvenile generally refers to a bird in its first non-downy plumage, while immature just refers to any bird that has not acquired adult plumage. Meaning that immature is an umbrella term which includes all juvenile birds, while juvenile is a more precise term that refers to a particular plumage.

15 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Immature is any bird that is not a full adult (juveniles included), and a juvenile is a bird in its first calendar year, @Melierax.

I'm sorry, I read your post incorrectly.  I didn't realize you said "a juvenile is a bird in its first calendar year" -- that is correct only for certain species (like hawks).  Benjamin is right that a juvenile is a bird in its first set of feathers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tony Leukering says that immature does not include juvenile, but is a term only used for birds that are between juvenile and adult plumage.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:22 PM, Benjamin said:

Yeah, that's not correct. Juvenile generally refers to a bird in its first non-downy plumage, while immature just refers to any bird that has not acquired adult plumage. Meaning that immature is an umbrella term which includes all juvenile birds, while juvenile is a more precise term that refers to a particular plumage.

I think that's what I said. Is it not? :classic_huh: