Whatbird Community

Hello,

Today there were some very strong NE winds at Cape Canaveral in Florida, so I took advantage of it by watching the sea. I saw tons and tons of Gannets and Jaegers (at least 100 jaegers!). However, I am really bad with Jaeger IDs. I took a lot of photos, and all the birds just look like Pomarine Jaegers to me. I was wondering if someone can help me and see if there are any parasitic jaegers in these photos (I know none of them are long-tailed, because they all look too big)? Also, any tips for separating the two if there are? The first picture almost looks exactly like this picture of a parastic jaeger https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/assets/photo/32801811-1280px.jpg . But I'm still having trouble..

I really love pelagic birds, and I thank everyone for the help! I hope you guys enjoy looking at these photos as much as me.

--

Also, slightly off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding salt spray on your camera when photographing the ocean? I tried attaching a UV lens filter, but when I zoom in far, it gets harder to focus, and the pictures come out more blurry...

DSCN5469.jpg

Jaeger_Pomarine group.JPG

DSCN5589.JPG

DSCN5631.JPG

DSCN5506.JPG

DSCN5549 (2).JPG

DSCN5627.JPG

DSCN5386.JPG

DSCN5452 (2).JPG

DSCN5469 (2).JPG

DSCN5595.JPG

DSCN5472.JPG

DSCN5543.JPG

• Like 1

Adult Poms are easy, with their pale bills and black on the face extending below the bill. Additionally, this is smack at the height of Pom season.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75955909

Finally, they all look like Poms -- big bruisers, deep bellies centered on the center of the wings, wide wings accounting for nearly half of total length, head projection in front of wings not all that much smaller than projection behind wings of the back end and tail.

• Like 2