Whatbird Community

The best bird seed to attract new birds to my feeder

Might as well mention if you are going to put out BOSS and suet to go ahead and hang a watering dish container or bird bath. That brings in even more birds when you put all of it out for them.  I have some birds that do not even always eat but they sure love the fresh water I put out for them. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Colton V said:

Yes, Black oil sunflower seed will attract the widest variety of birds. You can get an even wider variety if you also put out suet and Nyjer/Niger/Thistle seed. And don't forget about sugar water for the hummingbirds!

Ok thanks! 🙂 

15 hours ago, tclarkwood said:

Might as well mention if you are going to put out BOSS and suet to go ahead and hang a watering dish container or bird bath. That brings in even more birds when you put all of it out for them.  I have some birds that do not even always eat but they sure love the fresh water I put out for them. 

Ok thanks 🙂 

• 2 months later...

I have to agree with everyone who says black oil sunflower seeds. I have tried many different mixes while also using black oil sunflower seeds. Almost all birds go for the sunflower seeds first. I also put out suet. Mainly for the woodpeckers, but nuthatches and finches will use the suet also. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use the better mixes that don't have a lot of milo in it (looks like brown balls, a little smaller than a "BB."), and which don't include a lot of large pieces of cracked corn. Too much milo in mix I find gets left uneaten.  A little is okay. Too large of pieces of corn also go uneaten, which the big, cheap bags often have.

They do eat the millet in the mix, okay.  I also enrich it with more sunflower seeds.   I get quite a variety, so far that I've identified. (8 species today that I noticed at my seed, plus the two woodpeckers at suet, in just my first day of really focusing on birding for half an hour in the early morning, after learning some species identification.)

Yes, suet feeder is getting the woodpeckers - Downy and Red-Bellied for me, so far that I've noticed today, as a newbie in identifying birds.

I do want to add nyjer to my mix. 

Consistency in feeding them is also important.  They will then start to show up every day, almost on cue; and more and more birds will eventually come. I put out about 1.5 cups of seed a day in the morning, and it gets eaten.  They would eat more if I put out more. I gave up on feeders, for now. I just put it on the deck and deck railing, and on ground, as different species are more comfortable in different places.  (Yes, squirrels eat the sunflower seeds, but my many winter birds I would say get vast majority of it before the squirrels, at this point.)

Also, old seed, rotting in bottom of a feeder is no good.  Keep feeders clean.

Re: fresh water… I was amazed when I finally recently put out a small pan of water on the ground. Within 5 minutes, probably 8 birds had either drank or bathed in it.. and this was just a month ago—not in hot weather or anything, but just a time when it hadn't rained in a while. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I use a mix and it has worked well.  I use 4 part black oil sunflower seed to 1 part Kaytee no mess blend (I think that’s what it’s called).  The Kaytee smells so good.  My woodpeckers and wrens don’t eat from the suet anymore, they eat from the feeder. Brings all my targeted birds to the feeder.

3 hours ago, Tannerly said:

I use a mix and it has worked well.  I use 4 part black oil sunflower seed to 1 part Kaytee no mess blend (I think that’s what it’s called).  The Kaytee smells so good.  My woodpeckers and wrens don’t eat from the suet anymore, they eat from the feeder. Brings all my targeted birds to the feeder.

Welcome to Whatbird!

I actually prefer my woodpeckers, wren, jays, grackles, warblers, etc to eat the suet.  Suet is cheaper than seed, and easier to refill!  It's also easier for the larger jays, mockingbirds, etc. to get at than the smaller ports on my seed feeders.